Logo

Water leak after new motor amp stern drive installed

baddad71

"Brandon,Fl (Tampa area&#4

"Brandon,Fl (Tampa area) my 1988 Sea Ray 21' cuddy: new 4.3L 1 year ago, new outdrive & new 4BBL this spring. water pouring in around outdrive. cant see source of leak. all 3 bellows are secure at both ends, all bolts tightened to spec. all new gaskets used. this is a nearly complete restoration project. My dad & i have put a lot of work in and now dont know what to do. lookin for help"

"Be more specific..........&#3

"Be more specific.........."water pouring in around outdrive"

Where, inside the boat?

did you replace the trim sender and trim switch wires?
did you replace the gasket where the trim ram hydraulic hoses/lines exit at the base of the transom assembly? (outside of boat)

Did you replace the transom assembly large o-ring that is if you removed it from the boat?

Need more info .........."

"had a boat i worked on that t

"had a boat i worked on that the boat only leaked with the engine in it, seems the transom bolts to the gimbal housing was loose, specifically the bottom 4 mostly. Tightened them up the leak vanished !!"

You need to pinpoint the leak

You need to pinpoint the leak first. Is it leaking through the transom or is it being pumped into the boat? In other words does it leak with the engine running or not?

"the water is coming in @ abou

"the water is coming in @ about a gallon a minute as soon as it gets down the ramp. its coming in thru the transom, i just cant pinpoint it. you cant see the source. yes the plug is in... the water is being directed outward towards the starboard side from the middle of the transom, maybe a little towards the starboard side. if you look from the front, under the motor you can only see it running down from a higher spot. if you look from the front above the motor you dont see any leak. if you look from above you cant see any leak either."

"[b]"water pouring in arou

""water pouring in around outdrive. cant see source of leak. the water is coming in @ about a gallon a minute as soon as it gets down the ramp."

Ayuh,... Coming in That Fast,...It shouldn't be all that hard to find...
Use a Mirror or Whatever it takes to find it..."

"I had this also when my boat

"I had this also when my boat was about a year old, although it was not a fast leak. The drive housing bolts through the transom and is gasketed. If the bolts are loose it will leak. After things have settled from a new installation, it is not uncommon i learned to need to torque the fasteners. You need to look on the inside of the transom on the inside mounting plate and torque fasteners on top and bottom and on both sides - not that hard once you identify the nuts. They are probably brass-looking and quite large."

Back