Logo

Name this boat

o2x4

"the boat is a 1980 17 foot mo

"the boat is a 1980 17 foot model 358ap6308475. i drug this outta my buddys yard. ive gotta either buy it for 600$ or sell it or part it out. my biggest concern is the floor of the boat between the seats, it springy and i cut a x in the carpet n looked and its fiberglass. i was thinking i could sheet with plywood. what u guys think. fixable?
the engine is a lm318xylx-866, figure its a 225 hp 318. i had it firein up the other day. no knocks, oil looks good. anything i should know about an inboard engine? whats the blower for?
the stern drive is chrysler 300 5006 hb.
how do i fill the oil in the stern drive? think i found the drain on the bottom. do u fill from the bottom up like my outboard? dose it take the same oil? i dont wanna blow this thing up trying to figure out weather its worth fixing or not. the trailer is pretty nice too, think its a ezloader, has a bunch of wheels. so im thinkin it may be worth my 600$ even if ive gotta part it out. whatta u think i should do? any idea what a asking price would b for motor, stern drive, trailer?
286638.jpg
286639.jpg
286640.jpg
286641.jpg
"

The springy floor will also me

The springy floor will also mean springy engine stringers--a nightmare to replace.

Better let that one go.

Jeff

It'll cost you more to hav

It'll cost you more to have the floor fixed than the boat cost but if your into restoring stuff that's always case. Chrysler's used stacked ply-wood for stringers so they would be suspect at this stage and when you pull the motor and get a good look at the transom you might need some work there so your looking at a couple grand anyway.

"If you’re going to take on a

"If you’re going to take on a boat in not-so-great condition, a sterndrive is the last thing you want to mess around with. If you’re suspecting some wood rot going on (floor and stringers as Jeff suggested), there’s a good chance that the transom could be shot too.

As for the going rate of the motor and drive…..I don’t think what you’ll get is worth the time you’ll put into pulling them, listing them, making a deal with someone and, potentially, dealing with packing, shipping or delivery. I/O’s are a dime a dozen……especially in this economy.

All of that said, if you think it’ll float and get you around a lake for the summer (without a lot of tinkering or investment), you may find that $600 is worth the fun you’ll get out of it……..just don’t look at it as money that you’ll ever recoup."

By the way....you do fill the

By the way....you do fill the drive like an outboard from the bottom up with 90w gear oil. Avoid taking off the top cover because the gasket is NLA.

The Conqueror makes a good poi

The Conqueror makes a good point about the transom being rotted as well. Kudos!

I'd pass on this one.

Jeff

"Conqueror
Isn't it an &#

"Conqueror
Isn't it an "O" ring on the top cover?
How do you tell if it is full?
As I recall, the 300's were filed about an inch from the top edge (with the cover off, as a vent).

Fred 156-M

'"

"mmmk, thanks alot guys. helpe

"mmmk, thanks alot guys. helped me decide what i should do. i had a feeling the springy floor was baaaad news. i have a lake very close so i think i may get it running, lube it up and either beat the crud out of it myself or sell it to someone who will. for a summer or two... maybee...ill just equip the boat with a sawed off shotgun mounted and pointed at the deck in case it dies on the lake. this MOPAR will go out in a blaze of glory"

Fred 156-M.....Your correct ab

Fred 156-M.....Your correct about the O ring but the manual says not to reuse it although what choice would we have today. There should be vent screw in the cover with a 1 1/2" dip stick attached to it.....Jack

"The o-ring is a common one wh

"The o-ring is a common one which can be sourced from your local hydraulic store for a few cents.
It is a BS163 nitrile o-ring.
Cheers,
Mike"

"DON'T Kill it.....There i

"DON'T Kill it.....There is value in that boat. Even if you owned a AMC Gremlin there is somebody who needs a piece of trim or a engine bracket. I agree with G.H. it won't be worth anymore or any less whether you get some use out it or not. You could do the floor yourself for what you want it to do but be very careful when cutting along the edges because the floor is a lot closer than you realize and you can easily slice thru it and then you will have a problem.

One other thing about the drive when you fire it up the idle will be about 650 rpm, keep it there.
Like most drives you have to put it into gear very 'gingerly' before you take off. You'll be able to repair everything else on that boat if you had to but the drive is irreplaceable. So fight the urge to 'smooth' the idle out, that's were most damage is done. I simple took the carb return spring off my intake manifold because it was wearing me out holding the throttle down all the time and I jammed the clutches but fortunately didn't break anything."

"someone already sent me a ema

"someone already sent me a email about the drive,offered $300. but thats parting it out. id just haveta sell the engine n trailer then. idk what im gunna do yet, but i wanna help him out. ive got a 64 chrysler 45hp outboard on my keeper boat, i know how searching for hard to find parts is."

"where are you located? States

"where are you located? States? It is a CV-173 looks like a 79. If you were close I might be interested in it, but parting a boat is a LOT of work! I cut up a boat I bought last year and it took me a long time to get the garbage man to take it all ( the other option was paying $200 to drop it at the dump. ) If you part it out I might buy the complete driveline from you and then you could keep the trailer for a future project. you can email me at [email protected]

Dave"

"someone buy this thing whole

"someone buy this thing whole so i can be done with it. im trying to find a spot to pull this thing apart at. not lookin good. the close chainfall is real jankey lookin, and the trustfull one will cost me more$ to get the boat there, and i gotta hull tools. so far... more hassle than anything. by the time i get done rippin this thing apart my buddys gunna owe me $$$ n iv got a titanium leg, so forget partin it. come n get it. the trailer lights are new and it takes a 2" ball $600 firm."

Back