Logo

1992 40D ignition issue

coonlaker

"Hi folks,
The past few weeks

"Hi folks,
The past few weeks, after warm-up and at WOT, my rpms would cut from 4500 to 3000 consistently. I've primed the fuel ball during WOT, changed plugs, cleaned the water intake screen, but no changes. Today, the engine bogged from the get go, never going beyond 3000 rpms. I pulled each plug wire while under way and found that the top cylinder(#1) had no spark.
This explains the power loss as only 2 cylinders were firing during WOT. The CDI was replaced 2 years ago, and I still get a consistent idle.
I'm thinking about replacing the coil in #1. Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks,

James"

You should consider finding ou

You should consider finding out what is wrong rather than randomly replacing a part. Get a service manual and use the test procedures to determine what part is bad. Otherwise you are going to be throwing your money away.

"Thanks for the reply.

I th

"Thanks for the reply.

I think I've ruled out the fuel delivery system as the #1 plug was wet with fuel when I pulled it.

The #1 wire was not sparking when I grounded it.

I know the motor only runs on 2 cylinders under a certain rpm,
since the idle seems steady, and there were no changes in the rpms during WOT when I pulled the #1 plug wire, I assume the #1 cylinder is the one that engages at the higher rpms.

I'm going to swap coils between the #1 and #2 cylinders today.

If that doesn't reveal the bad coil. I'll get the manual.

Thanks again for the reply.

James"

"All three cylinders fire at a

"All three cylinders fire at all RPMs...Swapping the exterior ignition coil can eliminate or tell you if one of those is the issue. But, the CD or trigger coils are a different story. Your going to have to have a manual for those test procedures."

"Yikes,

The CD box is somet

"Yikes,

The CD box is something I was hoping not to get into.
One step at a time.

I could of swarm that the tech who replaced a CD box two years ago told me that only two cylinders ran during idle or trolling."

"thanks guru.

update, swapp

"thanks guru.

update, swapped outer coils, still no spark on #1.
time to buy the manual.
wink.gif
"

Back