Logo

Replace exhaust bellows

Trying to replace the exhaust

Trying to replace the exhaust bellows on my 3.0L with alpha drive. I can get one end on but cant stretch to put the other end on and if i lower the outdrive i cant get my hand in to work on it.

what is the trick? can anyone help?

"Thanks for the reply, will pu

"Thanks for the reply, will purchase the tool but how do you use it? what are the steps for install?

Does anyone know?

Barry"

"You remove the drive first, t

"You remove the drive first, then slide the tool in the exaust , catch the bellow and pull back.
Another option is to use the exaust tube instead"

Barry

first off the exhaus

Barry

first off the exhaust bellows is not a critical itme and does not have to be there for boat operation.
Without it it will be louder as the exhaust will be not directed thru the prop.

The bellows are a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS to deal with NEW!! Round bellows on a OVAL mounting surface...go figure!

I have done quite a few and there is no easy way that I am aware of and the tool makes it a bit easier.

"along with what bd said. you&

"along with what bd said. you'll also probably have to remove the shift shaft from the bellhousing to allow the tool to enter through the bellhousing to get a hold of the exhaust bellows and pull it back onto the bellhousing.. least i have to on my 1 drive.. assuming you do, be sure to heat up the shift lever screw. it's got red locktite on it. strip the drive on the screw and ya'll be getting a new shift lever too.."

No actual;ly the tool is desig

No actual;ly the tool is designed to be assembled with a pin so when done you can remove the pin and pull the two halves out seperately

way to go kghost. my 1st post

way to go kghost. my 1st post and i learn something new. ain't even my thread... sweet. just went and looked at my glm exhaust bellows tool and i do stand corrected. it's got a screw to separate it into halves...

Well guys thanks for all the i

Well guys thanks for all the input. Got the bellows on last night and the boat is up and running again.

Just to let you know I made my own tool out of 3/16 mild steel 3/4 wide and bent about a 110 deg bend on one end about 3/4 long. worked like a charm. First pulled on one side and while holding with hand pulled on the other side. Went from side to side untill it was fully on. Then slightly tilted it up and tightened the clamp. Of course had to do it twice since first time forgot to put the clamp on so now I have experience. Also did not have to remove the shifter cable or bellows. It worked like a dream.

So again thanks all for you advice and assistance...........

BArry

My brother-in-laws boat blew t

My brother-in-laws boat blew the bellows off when he started it on the water with the drive up. We ended up taking a piece of twine and wrapped it around the end of the bellows and pulled back on it until the guy under the outdrive could get it seated and tightened. Kind of a hillbilly method but it sure did not work trying to do it by hand. Just thought I'd throw that in here in the event someone else ends up like we did without the proper tools.

Back