Logo

Motor wonbt start only a single click sound

avent

I have a 91 Glasstron with a V

I have a 91 Glasstron with a V6 4.3 liter Alpha 1 with a thunder bolt ignition. When I tried to start it for the first time this year all it did was make a single clicking noise every time I turned the key. The noise is not coming from the starter; I think it is coming from a solenoid. Any idea what this solenoid is or where I would go about finding a part number for it?

"commonly called a "slave

"commonly called a "slave solenoid" .This slave triggers the main solenoid on the starter itself.If you short the 2 large lugs, starter should spin, if not you need to look elseware for the problem"

"If it doesn't start when

"If it doesn't start when shorting the 2 large lugs on the start, but throws big sparks, then it could be the starter, IF it does work then the solenoid on the starter is bad. Could be bad/loose dirty connection at the starter or the ground wire connections both on the engine or the battery."

"Ayuh,... That solenoid is Wo

"Ayuh,... That solenoid is Working,.. It's clicking...

Move on downstream,+ see what Ain't workin'..."

"Bondo

That is not 100% tru

"Bondo

That is not 100% true......

A very common problem with the slave solenoid is it only clicks. Yes it is working but the disc inside moves and makes contact with the two large studs but it does not conduct electricity due to smeg/corrosion/carbon biuld up.....

I have replaced many and pulled them apart to see what causes the issue.

The same is true for the GM style starter solenoids. The older replaceable ones could be removed and dissassembled, cleaned and reused.

Now of course from a marina's point of view the entire starter would be replaced as a normal proceedure in order to stay coast guard compliant.
And I replaced many starters due to only the solenoid being bad, ( I fixed the problem on the bench and used them for my auto's....LOL)
Nothing like a high torque starter in a chevy with headers..........can you say no hot hard starting issues...ever....."

The best way to test a solenoi

The best way to test a solenoid is to go buy a remote starter and hook one end (clip) to the BATTERY and the other end (clip) to the small terminal on the solenoid ( either the slave or the starter solenoid) the small yellow/with red wire.
Push the remote starter button and if the solenoid only clicks the connect the two remote starter leads directly to the two large studs and push the button again. If the starter turns over then the solenoid is bad.......

Caution
do not hold the button down long when connected to the two large studs on the solenoid becuase of the current (very high) and will cook the switch and the wires on the remote starter. This is jsut a QUICK test for trouble shooting.....

"[b]"That is not 100% true

""That is not 100% true...... "

Ayuh,... While I totally Agree with your post,....
I think there are Millions of slave solenoids changed for No reason, other than it's Easy...

As stated by Andrew at the top of the main forum page,....
It's not turning the bolts that's Hard,...
It's knowing Which bolt to turn...

Diagnostics is the Key,....
Figure out Exactly What's wrong,... Then Fix that...
Rather than throwing Parts at a Problem,... Hopeing you get it right..."

"Agreed,

As I included in m

"Agreed,

As I included in my last post was hopefully a test method to determine if and what is defective."

Just to add to above; I've

Just to add to above; I've found a good clue for a dead solenoid is darkened top studs from high current/heat.

"GUY

You must use a 1000 wa

"GUY

You must use a 1000 watt light source to view these things with,

Most time I have looked into a engine compartment it is somewhat dark and gloomey..............LOL

Even a good trouble light only casts a fair amount of light.........or is it bad eyes on my part...getting old I guess.

Just to ad to this. When I purchased my boat in '95 within two years I had the exact same thing occured and it was the slave solenoid........"

"Kghost:

I work outdoors in

"Kghost:

I work outdoors in direct sunlight w/the engine cover up @ 90 deg. I am able to sit next to the 4.3L engine on either side. I have worked at night w/a 100 watt work lamp. I don't have the 20:20 vision I used to have but a magnifying glass helps me alot for fine closeup work. My son calls me a Hobbit when I work w/the cover on the boat during the rain.
crazy.gif

I did what you did; took a few solenoids apart and as you said, the contactors were burned w/heavy carbon. That is when I noticed the darkened studs.

I don't wait for the small "high use" things to fail since they are cheap. I don't want another breakdown out on the water."

"[b]"getting old I guess.&

""getting old I guess."

Ayuh,... I donno if I'm quite ready to admit that just Yet,...
Even though AARP has been chasing me around for Years,...

I guess My Point of the matter is,...
Yes, starters, solenoids,+ Everythingelse in/ on a boat goes to 'ell at some point...
But,...
I've got almost 10 years runnin' on different forums,..
There's Tons,+ Tons,+ Tons of starters,+ solenoids that are "Saved just in case",...
All because of abit of Corrosion on the Wiring....
Especially the Ground paths....
1/2 the time, just changing whatever they're changing is enough to somewhat Clean the connections,...

Just 1 of those things that I see I guess,....
wink.gif
"

"Bondo: Old is a state of min

"Bondo: Old is a state of mind.
crazy.gif

"... just changing whatever they're changing is enough to somewhat Clean the connections,..."

Excellent statement!

"...Clean the connections,..." just cannot be stressed enough for any electrical problem!"

"RE: "Bondo: Old is a stat

"RE: "Bondo: Old is a state of mind."

Yes, it is.... until you try to get up from the deck after laying prone with your head in the bilge...and have to get a tool that you left in your car trunk :) L.O.L."

Back