Logo

Mercruiser 292

kainon

Advanced Contributor
"<font size=""+1"">Looking to

"<font size=""+1"">Looking to see if anyone has pictures of the front right and left side of a mercruiser 292 block ( i'm interested close to the timing cover )

Also I'm interested in the plate below the carb, where the carb bolts to the manifold, I'm looking to possibly buy one or come up with an alternate.

I also need to know if there is a diverter at the #3 & #4 cyls like on the 165hp 250ci. mercs. (what I have)

I have a chance to get a running 292 from a truck for $300-350.

thanks
Brian</font>"

"i've no experience with t

"i've no experience with the 292 200hp engine. but i do know it was used for only 2 years, 1968 and 69. it was always used with a mercruiser 2 drive. very rare. i think there's harmonic balancer problems with the change too. i know ya want more hp. but anything i've ever read about trying to swap a 165 for a 200hp is pretty much a not happening thing.. to many differences... in my mind, since mercruiser only used it for a couple of years, they must have had some sort of problem with that package to have such a short run of using them.."

"Yea.. I've only seen in &

"Yea.. I've only seen in '69, well the 292 uses motor mounts on the side, but I just had a thought how I can extend my 165 mount at the front to clear, you know the spacer on the port side of the front mount? I'd use 2 on the port and 1 starbord. I definately have the room in front of the engine mount it.

Yea I have wondered why they only used it 1-2 years.

THanks !!"

"The 230 cid chev motor was a

"The 230 cid chev motor was a newer replacement for the old 235 cid motor of the 50`s. The 292 was a pontiac division motor also used in some gm light pickups beginning in the 50`s.
230 and 292 are totally two different animals and I don`t think anything was ever interchangeable. Not sure if they shared any similarities in marine apps, but I doubt it."

"not the 230, the 250, THere a

"not the 230, the 250, THere are many interchangeable parts, uses the same head, fuel pump ( different location ) same dist and water pump, rockers and head, different lifter covers and pushrod, different crank and rods though ( longer stroke )..

I did find some good pics on the net finally after alot of digging, and also found there maybe a difference of the harmonic balancer on the front (being a little thicker) may be a problem with mounting the engine on the front but I have an idea for that to..

Thanks"

Back