Logo

Honda 130hp not reving

daneryden

hey guys have a 20ft. pontoon

hey guys have a 20ft. pontoon boat with a 130hp honda and its only reving 4000rpm and they say it should rev 5500rpm i lifted the motor up trimed and still nothing put a 11pitch prop and still 4000rpm any suggestions thanks

"I am not a mechanic.. But ha

"I am not a mechanic.. But had the same problem with my Honda 90BF. It was the carbs. the engine wasn't getting enough fuel. I drained the float bowls, and I was able to get running correctly using a combination of Marine Stabil and Merc. Quickleen. Now, I use this stough in every tank. If that doesnt work maybe a complete tear down of the carbs is in order. Should always check to make sure you have compression and spark."

"there are many things that co

"there are many things that could be the problem.

What prop did you have on before the change to 11 pitch? A 13 pitch should get you about 5600 - 5700 rpm.

Has this motor run at a higher rpm before?

If it has, have you recently put different fuel in it than in the past?

What brand tach and where is it set? It could be the wrong setting or the tach could be bad. I assume you tapped on the tach to see if it will go higher. I have seen them get stuck.

On the other hand, you may be only running on three cylinders. How long has it been since the spark plugs were changed. Only use NGK ZFR7F plugs.

While idling, pull one spark plug wire off at a time and see if there is any effect on the running. If the motor faulters when the wire is pulled, that cylinder is firing. If nothing changes, that cylinder has an issue. If you hear sparking, spark is probably ok. Then it is a clogged injector.

Drain the vapor separator into a glass jar to see what the fuel looks like.

What year is the motor? what is the serial number? I will check to see what updates if any have been done to it.

Have the high pressure and low pressure fuel filters been changed recently? Ever? Could be a blockage there."

"thanks for the reply i have t

"thanks for the reply i have tried 3 different prop pitchs 11 being the lowest has never reved higher lower but not higher will check the spark and fuel tomorrow, it runs great at idle and through out but just doesnt seem to rev was going to check the tach. tomorrow thought of that i will get the vin# thanks terry"

"hey mike the motor is a 1999

"hey mike the motor is a 1999 vin# bzbe1005190 checked the tach with a digital one and its right on,was told to tilt the motor till the prop was almost out and through it in gear and rev it to see what the rpms were and was still 4000 havnt checked fuel yet will after the weekend"

"Per the Honda computers....yo

"Per the Honda computers....your engine started out it life 7/16/99 as a commercial unit with the United Water Conservation in Piru, CA. It has had the engine block replaced (and probably the head) along with fuel pump assembly in 2004. There is an outstanding Product Improvement on the motor...Main Power Relay in Service Bulletin #48. You will have to check with your dealer to see if they will do it since it is out of warranty. In the States, our rep wants us to change it, since it can cause the engine not to run. This would not necessarily be causing your problem. But who knows.

Do not forget to do the cylinder drop test to see if all the cylinders are working. And at least check to see what the spark plugs look like. Replacing them would be best.

Again, don't forget those filters. There is one to the right of the vapor separator and one inside the vapor separater."

"If you are standing on the st

"If you are standing on the starboard side of the engine, you can follow the fuel line to the first filter, which is a low pressure filter (a white plastic cylinder shaped) , at the bottom right as you look at the engine from the side. The high pressure filter is actually inside the vapor separator, which is just to the left of the low pressure filter. On the right end of the vapor separator., there is a cover held on by three screws. In the center of the cover is a bolt. Use a 10mm wrench to loosen it to relieve the high pressure in the vapor separator. Be sure to put a rag over it, and use safety glasses so you do not get a shower of fuel. Once pressure is released, you can remove the three screws and remove the plate. The high pressure filter is inside. The parts you will need are 16911-ZY3-010 Strainer (high pressure filter), 16078-ZY3-000 O RING (It will loose its shape when the) fuel hits it.)and 16900-SR3-004 fuel filter (low pressure)...total cost of about $60.

You should also drain the vapor separator into a glass jar to see what your fuel looks like. There is a nipple (drain) on the bottom right of the vapor separator and there is a drain screw just above the nipple. You just have to back the screw out some, put a little hose on the nipple and tilt the motor up to drain it.

You really should buy a Honda Service Manual. It will show you pictures of all of this and how to do it."

"hey mike, well i checked the

"hey mike, well i checked the plugs nice colour,drained the vst was good changed filters,checked throttle through was good getting wot,had it on the muffs and tried it in gear and when it hit 4000 rpms wot it would start to break down like a rev limiter would make it do thanks terry"

Did you do the cylinder drop t

Did you do the cylinder drop test to check to see if all cylinders are working? I assume that the fuel looked ok in the VST...

It is not unusual for the engine to act like it is hitting the rev limiter when rev'd high on a hose. It needs backpressure of the water for a proper test.

"well i ended up taking it to

"well i ended up taking it to the dealer they ran it on the scanner with their digital tach, and was reving 5800 rpms and my tach read 4000 so not sure what happen because i had a digital tach hooked up to it read the same,so now i need a tach for a 130hp honda the one in the boat is a honda tach that was for my 50hp honda any reason they would read different,....... also i did replace the high preasure fuel filter and didnt run it except on the muffs before taking it to the dealer, when i put it in the water the tach still read 4000rpms...but i could tell that it was working much better and that i need to prop up now so i beleive that it was the high preasure filter so thanks everyone.. especially mike great advice, just wish i would have put it in the water before taking to the dealer... what do you think about the tach maybe hooked in the wrong spot."

"Glad things worked out. If y

"Glad things worked out. If your 50HP was 2005 or earlier, the tach received different kinds of voltage from the 50hp engine than from the 130hp. If the tach was one that was originally shipped with the 50hp, there is no switch on the back to change it to the proper setting. It will only work with 35hp - 50hp's 2005 and before.

If your tach has a switch on the back, you can probably set it for your 130. If not, you need to buy a new tach. Faria and Teleflex both make tachs that are adjustable and will work with the 130. The hole that the existing tach is in may have to be made bigger unless there is an adapter ring around the 50hp tach.

The setting you need for Faria is position 1. The setting you need for Teleflex is position 2p.

Happy and safe boating..."

"Can anyone give me a fair pri

"Can anyone give me a fair price for my Honda outboard engine, it a BF130A 2003 (Fuel pump and vapor separate will update my Honda dealer) Don't know the exact hours on the motor. The engine is running great without the updated fuel pump and vapor separater yet. Thank

Kyle"

"Hi Daneryden, did you call &#

"Hi Daneryden, did you call (Honda 770-497-6400) give them your motor serial number and ask is there any updated for your motor? My motor needed the fuel pump and vapor separater, Any dealer will do for free."

Back