Logo

Idle Problemplease help

lakeerie1

"I just bought a 1979 Century

"I just bought a 1979 Century cortez 270 with a 260 mercruiser engine in it.

It starts right up cold when I put it in the water idles fine and runs great, but when it warms up it stalls at idle and stalls when I try to engage the outdrive. I have changed the coil and adjusted the carberator but i still have the same problem."

Short shift cable or shift lin

Short shift cable or shift linkage in gimbal housing or cable adjustment is the most likely cause of what you descibe and it is causing the shift interuptor switch to engage when shifting.

If unfamiliar with any of this it may be best to find someone who may be able to help or understand what to do that lives close to you.

"Thank you Ghost, the guy i bo

"Thank you Ghost, the guy i bought the boat from told me he had that problem and wondered if he had a wire crossed because the coil will get very hot when ignition key is on. But he went on to say to just upgrade to electronic ignition and it would fix the problem, cause he said he thinks it is stalling out after it warms up cause the coil is getting to hot ???"

"oh and one other thing, I did

"oh and one other thing, I did notice that when you shift it into forward u have to push it up a 3 or 4 inches and it take a few to engage, the other boats Ive had in the past emediatly shifting in forward it would shift in"

"Shift cable adjustment per Kg

"Shift cable adjustment per Kghost. For the hot coil, check for 6-9 vdc on the coil + terminal to ground after it is running. There should be 12 vdc there when starting. Also clean all the connections even if they look clean; shine them. Pertronics electronic ignition conversion will make it run smoother--no more points to fool with. Let us know."

"If you just turn the key to t

"If you just turn the key to the RUN position and not actually run the engine then.....yes the coil will get hot.

If it is hot after or during running and when I say hot I meant a small bit of pain hot when touched, then it is a ignition related issue.

There is a poosibility that the inline resistor (typically a special wire that acts like a resistor I think) that reduces the 12 volts to ~ 9 volts is either bad or missing.

Yes converting to a pertronics electronic ignition eliminates a hole WORLD of issue forever!!!!!!!!!!"

Back