Logo

TMAD 41a oil leak and other questions

groovzilla

}hello...i have a 28'unifl

}hello...i have a 28'uniflite salty dog w/200hp TMAD 41a engine...i purchased the engine 11 years ago from fisherman who rebuilt it...had 0 hrs on rebuild when i installed it 11 years ago...he said they had a problem with glowplugs breaking off in cylinder so when he rebuilt it he eliminated the glowplugs...i have always used a block heater on a timer and it starts great w/no smoke..engine has 600hrs now on rebuild...the engine started dripping oil into the bildge...any ideas where it could be leaking?...possibly the oil pan?...was just wondering if they were prone to leaking in certain areas...

"A 41 and glow plugs in the he

"A 41 and glow plugs in the head???
The 40 had being a pre-chamber, but the 41 is direct injected.
Put some paper under the engine and try to see if it drips from front or back. Might be a crank shaft seal,"

morten...thanks for responding

morten...thanks for responding...i will go downstairs and try to post a photo of my engine for you to see in my next post

"morten...here is a photo of m

"morten...here is a photo of my engine...i am sure it is a TAMD 41a but please tell me what you think...

also how were these engines started w/o glow plugs?...there must have been some sort of internal coil to pre-heat cylinders?...like i said my engine has no glowplugs and i rely on a block heater to hear engine to start boat so there is no smoke...trying to start w/o block heater takes many truns on the starter and is very smokey.
286452.jpg
"

"Looks like a TAMD 41,at first

"Looks like a TAMD 41,at first look, but it seems to be glow plugs installed in the head next to the injectors. Someone has just removed the connector plates between them and installed air intake heating plugs instead. If so it is a TAMD40. Air filter however looks like from a 41-engine as well as valve covers and fuel injector lines.
It in total looks like a 41, but???
Normally no 'heaters', and they smoke at start up.
If a recent picture, Your air-filter does not seem to be changed in a while as well as Your crank case ventilation filter?"

"My guess is a 41A, because of

"My guess is a 41A, because of the glows. These were common on the A version. The covers say it could be a early B, however the glows were offered only as a option, so my guess is the A from the top view. Look at the exhaust, if it has not been modified it should have the solenoid switch for the brake. If it is missing look for the remains such as the bracket etc it used to mount on."

"If You mean the glow plugs in

"If You mean the glow plugs in the intake manifold, I agree. But have a close look next to the injectors, particularly cyl 6. That is what puzzles me. There should be no 'glow plugs breaking off in cylinder'!!!!"

"If the engine was "rebuil

"If the engine was "rebuilt by a fisherman", it could have any collection of junkyard parts on it. Probably the engine serial number would be the only way to identify it, yet the "rebuild" could have made it something different."

when i bought the engine 11 ye

when i bought the engine 11 years ago i went to the local volvo shop where the fisherman bought all the parts for the rebuild and confirmed it was a TAMD41a...i have both owners manuals for the engine which came with the engine when i bought it...the exhaust elbow has the lever on the exhaust for smoking which kicks in at i believe 800rpm's...i will get some better photos of the engine later in the week.

morten i appreciate your input and i am having a complete service done on the boat this week and will mention the crankcase filter...the turbo filter is already on the list!...my mechanic is also going to give a quick look for the oil leak which i think is from the oil pan but will have to use the paper under the engine method to confirm...i am getting tired of oil in the bildge!...please check back in a few days after i have had a chance to get more phoptos of the engine....***also where is the engine serial number located??

william

"Gents,

It's a TAMD-41A

"Gents,

It's a TAMD-41A, no glow plugs. Probably looking at the fuel return line. I've got two of each, the 40-As and the 41-As. Big differance.
Bob"

Back