Logo

165 hp merc engine has 214hrs its in a 1976 fiberform

jasonscorvairs

Finally got my exhaust bellow

Finally got my exhaust bellow hose off and the exhaust flapper is >>> seems broken off. The braket and rivets are still there??? Could this cause a tappet rattle noise at Idle. Engine has a total of 214 hours rebuilt at 200hrs. The tappet noise is intermittant. also Installed new nos lifters Deep dimple type like factory.Great oil pressure 50 psi. No misses>>Runs strong. Can any help. Should I replace exhaust flapper???Any help is great.

Replace it ASAP. The rest has

Replace it ASAP. The rest has fallen down into the exhaust pipe; needs to come out.

"Yes that would give you the i

"Yes that would give you the intermitten rattle, yes you should replace it. You may need to remove the outdrive and prop to find the rest of the peices."

Thanks Again. Guy do you know

Thanks Again. Guy do you know what this shutter acually does . Could I leave it out and still go boating untill I get new one.

Yes

It should be replaced a

Yes

It should be replaced and try not to stop quickley.

It stops water from rushing back into the exhaust manifold. Kinda like a check valve!

"Jason:

The shutter is an i

"Jason:

The shutter is an important engine safety device. It prevents backwash water, during a quick stop, from entering the engine via open exhaust valves and causing hydro locking of the engine which can ruin it.

I would not run my engine w/o it."

"6 inline . <[img]"http://www.

"6 inline .
286466.jpg
my fiberform""> nice boat you have"

Back