PDA

View Full Version : 45hp chrysler stalling problem

meatloafsandwich
06-22-2009, 12:59 PM
"Hello all, Well this is my first time posting here, although not the first time I was able to get help from these forums. Here is my issue: I have a 1978 45hp Chrysler (model457h8j) she starts on the first pull every time (starter is shot) and will throttle up in warm up with no prob.....then you throw it in gear... it will idle in gear just fine but as soon as you give it gas, it dies.. then will fire right back up, and the cycle start again. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I know little about boats but those fish aren't gonna wait too much longer!"

william_m
06-23-2009, 07:56 PM
"The main jet in the carb is plugged up. This carb is as tough to work on as a tin can with a hole in the bottom. You may have to cut the middle out of a small screwdriver to get the emulsion jet out, but thats all. They did have a thin seal washer inside the float bowl that made the main jet work, so watch for it."

gkerley
06-24-2009, 05:33 PM
I was just given a 16' aluminum boat with a Chrysler Model 45 on it. Is there some kind of secret to removing the engine housing? I cannot find a latch or release anywhere. And how do you determine the year model. Help

meatloafsandwich
06-25-2009, 07:42 AM
"hey Guy, if you feel under the front of the motor (you cannot see it) right above the steering cables, you will feel a lever that you just slide over. once you get the cover off, there should be a metal tag rivited to the bottom of the engine housing. when you have the hood off and are looking at the front of the motor you should see it. mine is a 1978 and that is from MY experience. if yours is much different in year, the tag location may be different. I will see if I can find the chart I used to decode my number and post it later, if not search these forums."

gkerley
06-25-2009, 12:22 PM
"Thanks Robert, the info is much appreciated. The lever is exactly where you described. Is this a great discussion board or what?"

meatloafsandwich
06-25-2009, 12:42 PM
"Yessir, got plenty of info before I joined too, like I said you can cross referance the number by searching these forums or just call a supplier and they will do it. Happy boating"

meatloafsandwich
06-26-2009, 12:22 PM
"William,
I cleaned the main jet and voila! she will go WOT without skipping a beat! (in a 55 gallon drum of water anyway) gonna lake test it tomorrow. thaks so much for the info."

william_m
06-26-2009, 11:26 PM
I really like that motor. I helped put a lot of jet drives on them and a 16' light river boat for a fun ride up the Rogue River in Ore.

meatloafsandwich
06-29-2009, 07:42 AM
"I had no Idea that was possible! a jet drive?!? Was that a difficult ordeal? is ther a place to get more info on the proccess? is it an expensive conversion? woohoo, I feel all tingly"

william_m
06-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Those units were produced by "Outboard Jet Corp" in the early 80's. I think Mercury marine bought them and that is what you get with a merc factory jet.

The best jet (in chrysler) was the 120. It would push a lot of boat. They stood up to a lot of cavitation. (common problem with the jet) and came back for more.