Logo

Prop want spin under a load

jeremy27

Regular Contributor
"I have a 1997 chaparral 2130

"I have a 1997 chaparral 2130 took it to the the lake and was going good but then something poped and the boat stop moving,when i put the boat into gear with the outdrive all the up it does fine but when i put it back into the water and put it into gear it doesn't do anything just the motor revs up.it will move the boat when only idling but will just rev if i give it any more gas than that,I think it mite be something with the trans but does anybody have any suggestion.thanks"

The rubber boot/hub is designe

The rubber boot/hub is designed to give way before something major breaks. Sounds like you need to change the boot/hub and you will be good to go.

"how do you change that,there

"how do you change that,there was smoke coming from under the motor when it made that nose could that just be were the hub spun and got hot,and is the hub the black thing inside the prop.thanks"

You have to take the big nut o

You have to take the big nut off holding the prop on. Remove the prop and the hub will slide off. It is made of rubber/plastic and will probably smoke/burn when it strips out.

You are correct. I will have a

You are correct. I will have a square hole that is cut out that slips over the shaft. The square hole will be stripped out casing the hub to spin around on the shaft. That is why you only have power at an idle.

"I have a mirage quicksilver s

"I have a mirage quicksilver stanless steel prop,I took it off the boat and it doesn't look like there is a hub on the back of it.does it mater if its that type of prop or do they all have a hub.thanks"

"Hey guys, have we missed somt

"Hey guys, have we missed somthing here ???

Jeremy says "there was smoke coming from under the motor"

I think he should be looking at the coupler rather than the prop !!"

I'm no expert. I believe a

I'm no expert. I believe all of the newer model boats have them as means of protecting the lower unit from damage.

"I did say there was smoke and

"I did say there was smoke and it smelled like something burning,it had a real bad rubber smell."

"Jeremy, You have stripped the

"Jeremy, You have stripped the coupler. It is mounted on the flywheel of the motor and connects the motor to the drive shaft that goes out thru the back of the boat. You can check it to make sure by having the boat in the water and observing the drive shaft to see if it is turning under load (in gear).
To replace the coupler, you will have to remove the stern drive and pull the motor to get to it.
Sorry, there is no other way !"

"I've had the boat in the

"I've had the boat in the water and with it in gear it will idling and the prop will move and the boat will move slow but move,if I try to give it some gas to speed up it will just rev the motor and not go anywere,"observing the drive shaft to see if it turns" do I need to take the prop off to see the drive shaft.or leave it on."

"It is the shaft between the m

"It is the shaft between the motor and the transom, inside the boat, at the back of the motor. Forget the propellor and everything outside the boat."

"Ayuh,... Listen to Chris,...

"Ayuh,... Listen to Chris,...
You've gotta Pull the Drive, then the Motor to replace the Coupler..."

"The marine is telling me it i

"The marine is telling me it is the hub,I told them my brother has a boat to,I'm going to get his prop and hub put it on and drop the boat in the water and see what happens,that will tell me if it is the hub or the coupler,my brothers boat has the same outdrive and prop as mine so it should work.I'll let you know what it does.Thanks"

That was very fsat to get a hu

That was very fsat to get a hub and a prop. DO you mean a proppelr and the inside to the propeller?

What about the coupler on the back of the engine?????????

yes the hub and propeller..i w

yes the hub and propeller..i will try the coupler next i hope this works thanks..does it take the trangler coupler...

inside the coupler olso on the

inside the coupler olso on the back of the prop i see some stiky rubber is that normal? or do i have to change the prop?

"it was my coupler, change the

"it was my coupler, change the hub and prop and it did the same thing and then change the coupler and now it runs great.I would change the hub first thats what I did beacause the coupler was $260 bucks.you can change the hub and not the prop unless you hit something with the prop and need a new one.It is alot cheaping to change the prop and hub then the coupler me and my brother changed the coupler so it saved me lots of money."

"What caused the coupler to fa

"What caused the coupler to fail , were the rear mount replaced, was the engine re-aligned????????"

Back