Logo

M440 Water Pump Pulley

lbarnes88

Contributing Member
"So there I was... motoring a

"So there I was... motoring along fine in a Century, and I smell burning rubber. I know it can't be the tires!! It threw one of the two fan belts, but the second belt was working fine and every thing was OK. Alt was working and engine temp was 160F. Back at the dock, no sign of a siezed alternator or water pump. All were working fine with no hot pulleys or any problems. Engine temp was still fine at 160F. Nothing was hot. But I find this: The pulley on the water pump was REAL wobbly, and the woodruff key in the water pump shaft had eaten 180 degrees around the ID of the pulley. The water pump shaft feels fine, (not loose) the bearings look fine, and the impellers are both new last winter. Have any of you ever seen an M440 water pump pulley eat itself up like that? WTF?"

"had the same thing happen to

"had the same thing happen to one of my 318's..was the stupid little C clip that holds the pulley on that had come off..the pulley wobbled around, just caught it before it came off completely, had the shaft machined & drilled out now has a 3/8 bolt holding the pulley on"

Same exact thing happened to m

Same exact thing happened to me last year in my '72 Arabian--I had a friend order me a new pulley from Marysville Marine.

Back