Logo

Idle only

zertan

"1975 mercruiser. Engine runs

"1975 mercruiser. Engine runs fine, but will only go about 10mph in the water. prop is turning, engine rpm's up fine. will push the boat a little, but no faster. What is wrong???"

"running the motor with a bad

"running the motor with a bad hub dosent overheat
you`ll overheat with a bad coupler
Have you checked the oil in the outdrive?
url]
"

"Hi larry, I read your other p

"Hi larry, I read your other post.

As Kghost suggests, you should remove your distributor cap, rotor and check them and check the mechanical advance, sometimes the springs in there break or it binds up.

Rough idle can be poorly adjusted carb, dirty carb, bad fuel, bad spark plug(s), Plug wire(s), dist cap, rotor, worn dist gear, leaky intake manifold gasket(loose intake), loose carb, bad carb gaskets, incorrect ignition timing, worn or sticking valves.

If you dont have a manual you can download one, and If your not comfortable or able to check some of these things you'll need to search for some local help."

"Thank You for all of your hel

"Thank You for all of your help. It was my prop. I got a new one and it fixed my problem. Now the motor won't go up or down. the motor is running and with a little help it works. Well, mabey a lot of help, but it runs really well with this new prop. Again, I thank all of you for your help."

"check your oil level in the t

"check your oil level in the trim pump, if it's still a 75 then it uses straight 30w oil"

Back