Logo

Borg Warner ratio vs prop pitch on Lehman 120

islandseeker

"Hello all,
Just wanted to

"Hello all,
Just wanted to congradulate all who help with the great advise given throughout the posts. I have read many and am impressed with the great technical knowlege available on this site!
Here's my deal:

Vessel- 58' custom wood sloop sailboat

Engine- Lehman 120hp, 2715E,

Date/Ser.No.- 08303/38

Gearbox- Borg Warner 2.57: 1 ratio

Prop- 22" J-prop adjustable pitch 3 blade feathering prop

This powerplant/gearbox/prop setup is completely new to this hull. I am wondering if the 2.57:1 ratio is going to cause any problems for me. I am just reassembling the engine and gearbox now and will be installing the engine assy. this summer. I'd like to know if anyone see's a problem with this setup prior to the install in the hull. I'd like to get it right the first time.
I understand with the adjustable pitch prop I can adjust for just about any combination. One thing I never hear of is prop rpm vs. pitch. At what point is the rpm of a prop too fast? Should I switch to say a 1.5: 1 or something else?
Any advise is appreciated.

To make it simple:

Is it better to have a faster spinning prop with less pitch or a slower rpm and higher pitch?

1 more- I got a quote for an oil pan gasket for this motor of $160? And the intake/exhaust manifold to head gaskets @ $68! Is this right? Seriously?

Best regards to all!...Steve"

Back