Logo

MC 470 Alternator Conversion

a1nowell

Contributing Member
"I have just received my new c

"I have just received my new conversion kit from Breezeworks. The install instructions are clear but no clear instructions on disconnecting the old system. I really would prefer to leave all the old in place and just disconnect and terminate the old system. It would seem that I could do this with some of the wires connected to the slave solenoid but I am not sure. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry"

"I converted my 470 to an alte

"I converted my 470 to an alternator 10 yrs ago. I used a chevy 90 amp internally regulated alternator, it's a single wire model. You have to have the explosion proof kit on it. The wire from the alt. goes to the left side of the starter solenoid. Same place the main battery cable goes. I' m not 100% sure how your kit is designed. Hope this helps."

Larry:

How many wire connec

Larry:

How many wire connections are on the alt. you rec'd? Where do the orange wire and red/purple wire from the regulator connect now?

You don't usually use the

You don't usually use the stock wiring. You are going up to 90 amps is why. It will fry it. Run your own battery cable to the starter motor. The Red/purple is a fused hot wire from the breaker (the sense) and the orange went to the battery (through the DC amps gauge on the early models)if IIRC.
Larry:
The new alt. has a purple and red wire? Than run the purple to the key and the red to any power source.

"Guy,
My new alternator is a

"Guy,
My new alternator is a 3 wire (18-5957) that puts out 68 amps. On the old system the orange wire connects to the battery/hot lug on the starter. The red/purple is connected to left lug on the slave solenoid. Also I have cut and capped the wires from the stator to the old voltage regulator.

Bandit,
I'm not sure what you are telling me. As I wrote to Guy, my new alternator is a 68 amp 3 wire alternator. According to the installation instructions and wiring I received I have a black wire going to the positive on the coil a small red wire and a large red wire going to the hot/battery lug on the starter."

"I really would prefer to

"I really would prefer to leave all the old in place and just disconnect and terminate the old system."

Remove the orange wire from the starter and regulator and fold the ends several inches back and double tape it. Same w/the red/purple wire. Secure the tape w/a zip tie since tape will unravel.

Remove the regulator and sell it on eBay; $400 new.

"The small black sounds like t

"The small black sounds like the "exciter" ,the small red the " sense" ,and the big red "output"
The trick to not breaking the brackets is to
use a dial indicator( or a homemade one out of wire, welding rod, coat hanger,etc)and perfectly center the pully. Snug the bolts up , rotate the motor, find a high spot, and tap the pully. Once centered, tighten the bolts, recheck, remove 1 bolt at a time and apply blue loc-tite.Once all 3 bolts are and tight, in recheck the pully."

"Bt Doctur,
I am using the up

"Bt Doctur,
I am using the upper conversion kit from Breezeworks. I am not removing the lower pully at all. Do you think I need to? I don't think it has ever been off since the factory installation. The engine is very deep in the belly of the back of the middle toon of a JC Tritoon. I can feel the old voltage regulator but I have never layed eyes on it. Everything is pretty crowded down there."

I put in the lower mounted kit

I put in the lower mounted kit on my 1986 MCM170 and I just disconnected the old wires and taped them up. When I pull the engine to rebuild it I will take out the unneeded parts but until then it is working fine.

Back