Logo

Alternator needs voltage regulator

jeffsboat

Contributing Member
"Have a port engine that the v

"Have a port engine that the voltage regulator is not working. I believe it is in the alternator. Can these be repaired or do I have to buy a new alternator?
Thanks,
Jeff"

"Jeff, I think our boats must

"Jeff, I think our boats must have some weird telekinetic connection. We seem to be having similar issues. After resolving my intake manifold issue (that's working very well by the way), my alternator output voltage has been creeping up. It had been running 13.7 or 13.8 volts, I noticed 13.9 a few times and this last week, 14.0 and 14.1. The analog gauge on the dash, the digital voltage output on my depth sounder, and a digital hand-held multimeter all give the same reading, so I think it's accurate. I had replaced my alternator with a 1 wire, internally regulated alternator in 2004, when I acquired the boat. As I recall the price was only slightly higher to replace it vs. rebuilding. Depending on the backlog, rebuilding might take longer, and it may not be worth the wait for the small savings. I'm going to pull mine Sunday and have it tested by an alternator shop on Monday. I'll let you know where this goes. Search this forum for voltage regulator. there is a lot more info out there.
Best,
Chuck"

"I brought my alternator to an

"I brought my alternator to an alternator shop this morning. I thought my voltage was running high at up to 14.1 volts, but when they tested it they said 14.5 to even 14.8 is OK."

"Found out last night that the

"Found out last night that the port engine has a new single wire alternator, so I removed it's voltage regulator (not being used)and tried it on the starboard engine. It still jumps up to 18+ volts. I am assuming that the problem may be in the alternator, but I will check out the web site and run some additional tests. PS: I ordered a new single wire alternator and hope to fix this one as a spare.
Jeff"

"Me too. Something's eati

"Me too. Something's eating my batteries as well, be it alternators or thr AC charger. I'm running a test to see which.

The Other Jeff"

"Poor connection between Batt&

"Poor connection between Batt+ and alt+.
will produce up too 27 volt output from alt.,
but no amps. thus full field volt reg.
Easy test. Run wire from alt + to batt +"

Back