Logo

Need help on stern drive

cavs79

"i got a 1974 winner 19' w

"i got a 1974 winner 19' with a 165 hp mercruiser 6 in line i am not sure what kind of stern drive i got sorry about that, i was on the lake yesterday and a heard a laud pop and the motor rpm went too hi and the boat stop running, so i got back home and i took out the stern drive and everything looks ok but of course i don't know much about boats so i don't know what to look for, if somebody can give me a clue i will apreciated, thanks in advance.}"

"Well you should have an I dri

"Well you should have an I drive if original, could've been swapped, you need to look at it for a serial number and/or post a picture and we can tell you. Sounds like you may have hit a rock or log or other Submerged Object.

Or the Engine Backfired How did you get the boat home or back to the trailer? did you run the engine or get towed??

And you say you took out the stern drive, did you take it Off?? what did you look at, check the gear oil, put the drive in forward and reverse and check the prop and gears."

"i was very close to the dock

"i was very close to the dock so we just paddel our way out, i kill the motor right away, i first took the cap on top out were the gear oil seat and the gears loos good and then took the whole ting out, but i didn't notice until now taking the picture that one of the blades on the propeller is bent, when the motor runing nor forward or reverse work
286257.jpg
stern drive

"im hoping that is an easy fix

"im hoping that is an easy fix, can u please tell me if there is some kind of safety device inside of that lower unit that break before something more important or expensive does, sorry about the questions i am very good on cars and stuff but this is my first boat so i know a lil bit about them."

"Mod1 type.No, there are no &#

"Mod1 type.No, there are no "safety devices" to minimize damage costs.Before you remove it from the boat check the oil level,
Shift into fwd gear, WITH THE IGN KEY IN YOUR POCKET, stand on a prop blade and try to turn it CCW while someone watches the shaft inside the boat where it goes into the back of the motor.
prop turns,shaft turns: coupler damaged
prop turns ,shaft dosent: drive damage"

"Ayuh,....
Pull the lower uni

"Ayuh,....
Pull the lower unit off the upper unit,..
You'll find the vertical shaft snapped off near the top, by the splones, at the o-ring groove..."

the prop turns free in any dir

the prop turns free in any direccion and any gear so i have to rebuild the lower unit or do i need to buy a new one?

"ok i will tomorrow, i been lo

"ok i will tomorrow, i been looking on internet about the complete stern drive and all i find is alpha 1 or 2 or bravo 1. any of then will fit on my boat?"

"Series`s, R,MR,Alpha (1&#

"Series`s, R,MR,Alpha (1) all will bolt on.just make sure the input shaft is the correct length.
You may just need a lower"

thanks i will take it apart an

thanks i will take it apart and post tomorrow whatever i find good nite everybody an thanks for your time.

Back