Logo

Transmission question

jb914

Contributing Member
the last two times i've co

the last two times i've come back to the boat i've noticed a splater of transmission fluid in the center of my bilge. it's almost like a someone took a drinking straw full of fluid and
blew it out into the bilge.

it seems like it must be coming from the port engine and i suspect the vent hole? any ideas what would cause this?

"Overfilling. Better over than

"Overfilling. Better over than under filling, for running even a cup or so low can lead to slippage. Only 2 quarts or so in the trans.

Jeff"

"Careful when figuring the amo

"Careful when figuring the amount of transmission fluid. You need to take into account the volume in the external heat exchanger. You didn't mention what kind of transmission. Did you know that the drive service manual is online? you can download it free (not my website)
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6mxo8/d...erv_Manual.pdf

As an interim measure, I recommend placing a Bilge Oil Absorber Sheet under the transmission if you haven't already.

Chuck"

i have the paragon transmissio

i have the paragon transmission w/ v drives. i have a big oil absorbant next to my bilge pumps already.

thanks everyone!

JB.. Not sure what your Parago

JB.. Not sure what your Paragon V drive is but my PV31 has a seal between the transmission and gearcase. If this seal fails fluid will flow from the transmission into the gear case and over fill the gear case. Fluid then leaks from the gear case vent. It's happened to mine twice!

Billy
it is my understanding

Billy
it is my understanding my v drive and transmission share the same fluid. there is a hose from gears to the v-drive.

Back