Logo

Power trim

chris777

"i have a chrysler 318 with a

"i have a chrysler 318 with a 270 volvo outdrive it does not have power trim,yes it does have power tilt.

in my experiance some boats respond well to power trim while others do not. eg, my dad has a 16'+/-? aluminum starcraft when you trim up the outboard (90 hp),it only makes the boat porpoise(front bounces up and down alot). he also has a pontoon when you trim it up it really doesnt do much of anything. my friend has a Four Winns bowrider (16'+/-) that is a fairly deep hull and it also porpoises when the outdrive is trimmed.another friend once had a Four Winns cuddy (20-21'+/-) with a 350 omc in it and it seemed to respond well to trimming up the outdrive a bit.

so what gives, why do some boats respond and others not so much, and do you think my Seabird V24 Super Sport(23'3") with a DEEP V (24 degree deadrise) would respond well to changes in trim (powertrim). at this point it seems powertrim is overrated for anything other that keeping your prop off the bottom.(wich would be a good thing for my Seabird,it has close to a 36" draft!)

if anyone wants to chime in and let us know how your boat responds to power trim, please do. dont forget some basics on your boat."

"My Bayliner 19 footer (gr

"My Bayliner 19 footer (great little boat) had a power trim and I used it all the time--and it needed it. My Bayliner 28 footer did not, and it was happy with the trim angle (via a tilt pin) in one spot. I experimented with other pin holes and kept coming back to the same one. Note that this same boat had Bennett trim tabs that did largely the same thing while allowing yaw adjustment as well (something power tilt can't do).

Conclusion # 1: Power trim is nice to have, can optimize your planing performance (for more speed per gallon), but is not essential. Bennett-type trim tabs make a lot more sense--especially with a deep vee boat that tends to 'run on its side' with an unbalanced load.

Conclusion # 2: Bennett-type trim tabs can be adjusted to minimize that irratating low speed meandering that single OD boats ALL have; drop one tab down all the way, the other up, and it stops doing that nonsense.

Jeff"

"I bought a brand new 1991 Baj

"I bought a brand new 1991 Baja 204 islander and it would porpoise really bad. I heard later that it was due to a hook Baja knew about but never fixed, and also the placement of the drive in the transom ( mounted too high if I recall, but not sure ) the boat could never be trimmed up much or the porpoising would get extremely bad ( threw the wife up in the air and she landed on her side bruising her badly ) we were only able to resolve the issue by running Bennett trim tabs. I am sold on the Tabs and if you have a boat with questionable handling characteristic's you would be happy with them as a addition to your boat."

"thanks for the replies, a set

"thanks for the replies, a set of power trim tabs are on the to do list, but i have much to do first. two weekends ago i pulled the drive,engine,and gimbal housing. i'm blocking the exhaust off in the gimbal housing(due to a butched factory install)so i will be running thru hull exhaust(hope its not too loud).i'm also rebuilding the gimball housing(has a few issues),and repainting it,the drive as well as the engine (along with a reseal). i already pulled the tank and had it welded up tite (was leaking).got all new fuel lines and will be replacing all water hoses and going over the entire cooling system (new impeller,t-stat,also going to verify the condition of the manifolds,risers,and elbows)"

Back