Logo

Cracked block cont

bogdenz

Regular Contributor
"Hi again all. After diagnosin

"Hi again all. After diagnosing my cracked block (thanks Jeff, Dave and others), I've moved forward with a long block order. My next decision is where I could use some advice (again)....

Without having the right set-up in my driveway, I'm finding myself resorting to going to a local shop to yank the old motor and drop in the new. That said, part of me thinks that I should just have the long block delivered there, have them handle the transfer of parts from old to new, get it up and running and be done with it. On the other hand, it pains me to pay someone (few hundred bucks I'm guessing?) to do something that I'm confident I could do 90% (?) of.

I guess what I'm wondering is.....is there more to transfering the parts to the longblock than there appears? I'm fine with the intake, valve covers, oil pan, fuel pump, exhaust, etc., etc. but have never tackled flywheel removal or too much on the front end (note that the jet is drive right off the flywheel...no tranny). Any advice on surprises that I might be in store for if I go it on my own....or is it simply worth the money (assuming a fair rate) to have someone accountable for the work?

Thanks again guys."

"While you may be able to do i

"While you may be able to do it yourself, remember the person you hire will have all the tools he needs ( will you need to buy something? ) And the way I look at it if your not 100 percent sure you can do it. what happens if you forget something ( priming the new engine before starting)and lets say you damage the new engine. Then those few dollars will mean nothing! It isn't really that bad to do, but remember this is a big investment and if your not 100 percent the extra money might be the way to go."

"That's the answer I was p

"That's the answer I was prepared for (probably becuase it's the right one). I think my wife would also thank you for that advice....because, with a vacation coming up in July, going this route will also ensure that I don't spend the whole time tinkering (wouldn't be the first time).

Thanks once again David."

"Get out the wallet, again, pa

"Get out the wallet, again, pardner. It's too much of a hassle to do it all over again if you missed something, and there's a surprisingly lot of stuff to be missed.

The "Admiral" is correct.

Jeff"

"Glad to help, and yes the wif

"Glad to help, and yes the wife will be much happier. Remember " happy wife, happy life "

And she can NEVER be happy enough LOL

Dave"

Back