Logo

M440 carburetor question

mlcorry

I have a 28ft Cary with twin 4

I have a 28ft Cary with twin 440's. Was looking at rebuilding the Quadrajet carburetors and found casting numbers 17084001S on them. My research shows these carburetors were for the 360 engine. Are my carbs the wrong size?

What year motor...? Chrysler d

What year motor...? Chrysler did use QJ's on small blocks from the early to mid 80's. I'm pretty sure the 440 was out of production by then....around '78.

"I am not sure what year the m

"I am not sure what year the motors are. I bought the 1971 Cary at an estate sale 3 years ago. The motors run great and still had the stickers, paint, wiring tags etc. as if they were rarely used or probably replaced in the 80's. Thanks
Port ID# M440BXLX5-063 Ser#E585740 Star ID# M440BXRX5-063 Ser#E585739"

The years that the 440 ended a

The years that the 440 ended and the time they would have started using that carb are one right after the other so who knows for sure but those QJ's generally flowed 750 cfm so I could see why they would have used them.

How do you like them...? Why the rebuild...?

"The starboard has always seem

"The starboard has always seemed to idle a little rich. The port had the float stick the other day and was running rich but that corrected after a couple taps and some carburetor cleaner. I just thought it may not be a bad idea to change the needle/seat and go through them. I am not sure what year they are. Do you know the last year you could purchase 440's for repower? Maybe these are the original engines, but they look to clean to be from 1971. I have a limited history on the boat. I know it was originally in Dania, Florida and then went to Lake Erie in the late 70's. The person that owned it on Lake Erie passed away a few years ago. I bought it from his son who didn't know a lot about it. It was only used during the summer and shrink-wrapped the rest of the time. Now it is back in Florida with closed cooling systems. It has been very dependable and has been to the bahamas and back multiple times. If the carburetors are adequate and not robbing me of horsepower, then I will just clean and rebuild them. Is there a way to date the engines?"

Rebuilt 440's are still av

Rebuilt 440's are still available and there's a date code somewhere on side of the block that's tell's when the block was cast or do search on the casting number. I was recently asking around about using QJ's because I know they were used on the 360's which was the last marine motor Chrysler continued to build until '85. With motors that thirsty any chance you have to save some fuel is a plus and that's what they were designed for. When those secondaries open up you'll get as much flow as anything else. The big block Edelbrock marine carbs flow at 750 too.

Back