Logo

Your thoughts on shaft savers

rustymich

Regular Contributor
"Does anyone use them are they

"Does anyone use them are they worth the money looking at the product trying to get ideas for next season,thanks......"

"Mixed opinions on them. The

"Mixed opinions on them. The shaft still needs to be properly aligned (and maintained that way) or the shaft gets shoved to one side and eats the stuffing box. Not sure if they reduce vibration, for inboards will always have some (due to the shock wave coming off the prop blades impacted the hull on their way by).

On the saving the shaft from damage upon hitting something, I've had the motors stop dead a few times thanks to grass and once a stinking plank! No damage (thank heavens), and that was without the Savers. With them I might have had to crawl down there and replace shear parts, and in the middle of the River/ Bay.

Six of one, half dozen of the other....

Jeff"

"I used some from a company ba

"I used some from a company based in England called R & D flexible marine couplings, got them from "marine manifold .com", easy to install , although I did have to cut the shafts down by an inch or so, easy to align the shafts, (just use one bolt in 4 positions)& they have a metal cross sandwiched in the moulded parts, if they do break you can still get home with out having to touch your shafts,plus they take out a lot of vibration, I'm very happy with mine."

Back