Logo

Sticking Float on 1970 HUFR 19E

meanole_dad

"Hi Gang,
During the winter I

"Hi Gang,
During the winter I put a kit in the carb when I noticed the carb overflowing while pressure checking after changing fuel filters.
The metal float looked good and was empty of fuel.
I was very meticulous when setting float level/drop.
Problem seemed solved until two days ago while out on the lake. The ole tapping the carb trick works,but of course not acceptable for boating.
I checked the pressure at the inlet to the carb with two different measureing devices and both showed 4-4.5 pressure.
This is a 1970 16'Seasport 155.
Any suggestions as to what to look for?
I almost croked at the price of a new/rebuilt carb.
Thanks in advance.
Ted Robinson"

"Did you replace the Needle an

"Did you replace the Needle and Seat? if you only replaced the needle, there could be varnish built up inside the seat causing it to bind, can take the needle out and take an emery board or very very fine sand paper to all 3 sides of the needle, that could help."

"You don't have enough pre

"You don't have enough pressure that the pump is giving you. But thats not the problem with the seat of the carb, and you already know the float is hanging up, i think you didn't install the float correctly go back and turn the pin around that hold the needle.Maybe you installed it from the wrong side."

"Brian & Chiefalan,
Thank

"Brian & Chiefalan,
Thanks so much for the response.
I will probally date myself, but I was very surprised when I received my carb kit back in January and it did not have the seat to go along with the needle.
I checked the seat when I descovered I was going to have to reinstall it. It looked clean, but I will tear her apart again today and go over it with some crokas cloth I have had for 40 or so years.
About the pin. I will look closer today,but the pin looked symetrical and I admit to missing that point if its not.
The manual calls for 4.25 to 5.75 PSI. fuel press so I thought my 4.50 would be good.
I will look at the pressure issue when I can get this baby to stop pumping fuel out the top.
The prior owner replaced the engine driven fuel pump with electric.

Thanks again for the help.
Ted"

"4.5 psi is fine.

ANY pre

"4.5 psi is fine.

ANY pressure proves that the fuel pump is delivering more fuel than the carb is swallowing, and that's all the fuel pump needs to accomplish."

"Update,
Reinspected needle v

"Update,
Reinspected needle valve seat. Seat is very clean and looks like new, but was not replaced with the kit because it was not provided.
I took the top of carb with float and needle attached,inverted it with fule supply attached and applied fuel pressure.
With just the weight of the float, the fuel still leaked in slightly. With a light touch on the float I could stop fuel flow.
My take is that I need to find a needle and seat assembly like they came in kits in the old days.
Any other sugestions are certainly welcome.
Where can I look for a needle and seat assembly?
I will start looking locally today,but talking carbs to the modern parts stores is like dealing with the deer in the headlights look.
Thanks
Ted"

"Well, I'd google around t

"Well, I'd google around the town you live for a Carburetor repair shop, You can definatly look on Ebay for one and contact them directly. Second an OMC Dealer maybe able to order a set separate from the kit. How does the tip of the needle look, is it Black? (rubber) or is the entire peice metal ? You may want to look at it with a Magnifying Glass, if no ridges, put it back in and turn the top of the carb with the float over so the float is level and parallel with the surface of the now top of the carb ( or bottom of the top of the carb )"

"Brian,
The tip is black and

"Brian,
The tip is black and in good shape, it came with the kit installed in January. As I mentioned earlier on, a seat was not included with the kit.
A seasoned parts guy gave me a couple of names & numbers to call of guys that used to be the kings of carbs here in Central Oregon in the yesteryears.
I will let you know how I do.
Thanks
Ted"

"the black tips usually have a

"the black tips usually have a ring around them, if it's in good shape it should be ok to use.. doesnt hurt to talk to a local Carb Guru.. good luck."

"Brian,
Update on sticking fl

"Brian,
Update on sticking float.
Sticking float problem appears solved.
Took carb in to local Guru. He took one look and said "Float level too high,}drop er down a bit"
I began to tell him that it was at the 19/32 specs,but his look told me to shut up and drop er down a bit.
Came home and tried 21/32 to no avail. tried 24/32 and no leaky!!!!!
I used the 1&29/32 for the drop.

He also had a new kit with both seat & Valve included.
Ted"

Back