Logo

Tohatsu 70B Carb 3 cylinder

bigrun5

"Ok my here's my situation

"Ok my here's my situation. The engine starts up and idles ok and will run fine under 2500 rpms. However when I bring it up to full throttle around 5000 it will hold that for a short time and then start acting up, bouncing up and down between 5000 and 3000 rpms getting progressively worse as time goes. I belive my jets need to be flushed out or could it be a bad coil? Any help would be appreciated. I have basically isolated the problem I think up to the fuel pump. I swapped out gas tanks and fuel lines up to the fuel pump with the same problem."

"It could be anything at this

"It could be anything at this point. You need to test for fire on the plugs while the engine is malfunctioning. If they all have good fire, then you start testing the fuel system and by process of elimation find the problem."

How would one do that while I&

How would one do that while I'm traveling down my local channel to the gulf of mexico? I can rev the engine up while idling it doesnt showup. I guess I could grap a tub and try to reproduce it while its on the trailer? The plugs have been replaced along with the fuel pump and fuel mixer.

Spark indicators...They are av

Spark indicators...They are available from any auto parts store. You only need one. It goes in line between the the spark plug and the spark plug wire. You can actually see the spark while you are out under a load. It's best to do it on an overcast day or late in the evening. You will need someone to operate the boat for you.

Back