Logo

Marine power 454 trbl

slickminnow

"I recently purchased a boat t

"I recently purchased a boat that has a marine power 454. I would estimate the year of the motor somewhere around 1996. it's a carburated engine. the boat has sat for several years. when i went to start it, i had trbl with no pwr to the fuel pump. I temporarily jumped out the fuel pump to another ckt, and the motor fired right up. However the oil pressure gauge didn't seem to work. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the fuel pump is powered by the oil pressure switch. do you think these problems could be related? any help would be appreciated thanks."

"there is a good chance of tho

"there is a good chance of those being related. the oil pressure safety will kill the electric fuel pump if you have low oil pressure or loss of engine power. the oil pressure safety is located next to the oil pressure sender on most Marine Power engines. there is a T that comes off where a normal oil filter would be, that T houses both units.i had the same problem on one of my twin marine powers and ended up bypassing the shutoff for now. i keep a good eye on my tachs so i dont worry to much."

"Thanks for the advice, it tur

"Thanks for the advice, it turned out I located the tee and found the pressure sensor was corroded and no good. replaced that and the fuel pump now functions properly. Hooked up a mechanical oil gauge to make sure I had pressure and I do. what a relief. thanks."

Back