Logo

BF15 Throttle issues

wesman

"Hi Everyone.

I have a 2002

"Hi Everyone.

I have a 2002 BF15 that was running great until I had it winterized 1-1/2 years ago. In the spring when I started it, it started fine but would bog at about 1/2 throttle and if you babied it could get past this and it would run but not like it should. I went to the marina which winterized it and interestingly they are no longer a Honda Dealer. I asked to leave the motor and was told that they were very busy and could look at it in 4 - 6 weeks.

I decided to pull the carb myself and clean it and replace the fuel filter while at it. When testing it in a tank it seemed to run well. I then hauled it back up North only to find it ran just as poorly as before. Seeing as it ran but not well I decided to live with it for the remainder of the season and deal with it in the fall.

I took it in to be services last fall explaining the issue and I was told that the carb just needed a good cleaning. I explained that I had cleaned it but there was no improvement in performance. When I picked up the motor I was told that the carb was very dirty. I questioned if it ran okay now and was told that it is hard to test in a tank. Guess what, it still runs as poorly as before.

I have read of dirty carbs, exhaust leaks, fuel pump issues, and suction leaks.

This past weekend while at full throttle the engine dropped to about 1/2 throttle and I had to limp back home.

I am about to give up on it because it is just not reliable. To think I longed for a Honda after owning a number of Evinrudes.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Wes"

The quick and dirty test for f

The quick and dirty test for fuel pump problems is to pump the primer bulb when the engine starts to act up. Some Hondas have a tiny plastic filter in the fuel pump housing on the inlet side that plugs up if there is ANY ethanol related crap in the fuel system at all.

Have you put a timing light on

Have you put a timing light on it and watched at the flywheel for a nice smooth advance? They had a mechanical advance in the cam pulley which would sometimes stick.

Back