Logo

Restarting 318

69_nautaline

"My 1969 chysler 318 starts in

"My 1969 chysler 318 starts instantly when cold, full choke throttle about 1/3, turn key. After running engine to temperature and anchoring for a half hour the engine restarts very hard. The engine always does restart after goofing around pumping throttle etc.

The choke is manual push pull cable. Holly carb, edelbrook intake, pertronix ignition. Any advise on choke position/throttle position/pumping/prayers etc would be appreciated."

I have a '69 also with the

I have a '69 also with the almost the same set-up. The only way I've found to restart the engine is to push the thottle wide open and crank it over. Have your hand on the thottle to pull it back down once it starts!!! I also checked to make sure the throttle and choke plates were not loose on their mounting screws.

"Both of you have carbs with t

"Both of you have carbs with the fuel level running a bit too high. On the hook, bouncing around as boats do, gas sloshes out and floods the motor. The solution is to lower the float level an 1/8 inch or so, or shut the gas off before the motor is shut down--10 seconds idling will do.

The Mercruiser 4 cylinder carb motors are notoriuos for doing that since the carb sits atop the exhaust manifold.

Jeff"

"Good call on the float level

"Good call on the float level I adjusted my down a bit as they were too high. I also adjusted the linkage to the accelerator pump as the pump was causing gas to drip into the carb when the engine was off thus flooding it. The engine starts and runs much better and instant hot starts. Note: also make sure you don't have any vacuume leaks, I found a cracked hose which may have contributed to the problem."

Back