Logo

Starting Problem

F

FloridaDan

" My 7.4L carburated mercruise

" My 7.4L carburated mercruiser engine has a problem with dying after first starting it up. When its cold it will start right up on the first try and run ok for about 20 seconds or so but then it starts running real rough and then it dies and I cannot get it restarted.

I've taken it to a Mercury platinum dealer who said the carb needed rebuilding so he did that and put in a new fuel/water separator filter too but the same thing still happens. I just crank and crank but the engine won't catch and last time the engine ended up getting flooded.

The mechanic noticed the fuel water filter was only half full and thought maybe a bad anti-siphon valve was causing the fuel to drain back into the tank. When he pulled the anti-siphon valve he blew into it to check it and said it was ok but I have my doubts. Do you think it could be this or a bad float in the carb, or a bad vent line ? We don't think the problem is with the fuel itself as we haven't found any debris or water in the system. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks "

" YOUR WATER SEPARATOR SHOULD

" YOUR WATER SEPARATOR SHOULD BE FULL. CHECK THAT THE FUEL TANK VENT IS NOT PLUGGED OR THE VENT HOSE IS NOT KINKED. RUN THE ENGINE HOOKING A REMOTE TANK TO THE SEPARATOR AND SEE IF YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. FLOODING THE ENGINE DOESN'T JIVE WITH YOUR LAST PARAGRAPH. HAVE YOU CHECKED SPARK, PLUGS, AND TIMING. "

hi there
i have worked on ma

hi there
i have worked on many ship engines and your problem is just like the one we had a few weeks ago i can tell you a small test to see if its getting enough fuel put your hand over the carbi then turn by hand if its clear but not wet it not getting enough fuel but if its white and wet you might have water in fuel anthor thing that causes an engine not running easy then i would check the fuel line to see if its got a split in it and probley wouldent help to clean your spark plugs i find after cleaning the spark plugs a enigne starts and runs alot easier

Jason 20+ years sprit of tas shipping lines

Back