Logo

Exploding boat

agitator

Contributing Member
"I was at the marina last Satu

"I was at the marina last Saturday afternoon and the owner was telling me about 2 girls who were sitting on a jetski that morning trying to get it started. He said he watched them and they tried to start two times and the engine just spun over. They tried it the third time and it exploded. It thru the girls about 20 feet in the air out into the lake. The handlebars and most of the top end plastic landed on the bank and the rest of it sat inthe water on fire. The girls swam out and didn't seem to be hurt. Just as he was finishing that story we heard an awful explosion. The ground shok, the windows rattled and my ears rang. The owner of a neighboring marina had just finished fueling his boat. He started one engine and when he tried to start the second, it exploded. He is disabled and in a wheelchair. It threw him into the water, threw his wheelchair some 40 yards on top on the adjanct bridge, set his boat, the dock and gas pumps on fire. A dock hand was slightly burned. The owner was not seriously hurt. Two explosions within 1/2 mile of each other on the same day. You guys be very very careful.. Things could have been a lot worse."

When I was a kid my Grandfathe

When I was a kid my Grandfather pouded in my head that before you start a boat after siting for a while never trust the the blowers in getting all the fuel vapors out of the engine hatch----always open the hatch to let the vapors escape because of possible expolosions---is it possible this was the reason for the explosions???

"I have a vapor sensor in the

"I have a vapor sensor in the lower bilge,But that still doesnt stop me from going in with hatchs open checking fluids and smelling around better safe then sorry...."

"I have installed 3 extra blow

"I have installed 3 extra blowers, always open the engine hatches, have a gas sniffer, & very fussy over maintainance."

"The guy said he smelled gas b

"The guy said he smelled gas but started the engines anyway. He is an old hand at this, just goes to prove never take anything for granted. I always open my hatches, too. Just makes sense to me."

"I wonder if was an older boat

"I wonder if was an older boat and jet ski? I'll bet it had something to do with ethanol either melting old fuel lines ,fuel pump diaphrams or carb gaskets. Exxon station in Monkton, Maryland has been shut down due to 30-40% ethanol in fuel. A local guy replaced 3 fuel pumps in his BMW over a year. The mechanic called other mechanic friends and they all were doing lots of fuel pumps. All fuel pump problems were traced back to the Exxon station on Mt. Carmel rd.

When is BOAT U.S. going to get behind it's customers and fight for non-ethanol fuel for marinas!!!!"

Captain how about them fightin

Captain how about them fighting for no road taxs on marina fuel they do that with the diesel dont they do no how that stations was getting the blend percent in there fuel 10 is the amount now other then e85..
The guy said he smelled gas but started the engines anyway
That was there sign to stop and didnt....

"Go to wait that 4 to 5 minute

"Go to wait that 4 to 5 minutes with the blowers running before starting! That and having a fumes detector.

On the ethanol threat, THREE outboards (mine, my friend and an internet buddy) all had fuel pump diaphragm failures over the weekend--and they were not old parts. Guess what happened to them!

Jeff"

"Another thing to check, espec

"Another thing to check, especially on older boats, is the gasket under the fuel sender.
I've seen more than one cork one fail, leaking gas into the bilge. Usually only noticed on fillup."

Re:"---always open the hat

Re:"---always open the hatch to let the vapors escape because of possible explosions---is it possible this was the reason for the explosions???"

Opening the hatches WILL NOT let the vapors escape! Fuel vapor is heaver than air & will fall to the lowest point< and stay there until the vapor is evacuated out.

Fuel vapor will cascade down a staircase just as if you were flooding the boat with water.

You should close all hatches & cabin doors when refueling.

Opening the hatches after refueling is to perform the "sniff test".

The exhaust blower inlet should be at the lowest part of the hull.

BE SAFE !!!

Fred 156-M

And you need to let the blower

And you need to let the blowers run 4 to 5 minutes. Way too many people are too impatient to wait that long; or they don't know how long that is. I have a cheapo timer set on 4 minutes and wait 'til it dings off before firing the motors.

One advantage of opening the hatches before starting is to reduce the blast should an explosion occur. Not a pleasant thought.

Jeff

We had this same thread running a few days ago on another site. Most said they do not run their blowers during refueling.

What's the rule?

Do you run yours during or after refueling?

Everything off during fueling. Blowers on after fueling. If they had propper training, fueling personel should not begin if they know something is running.

Are the blowers ignition protected? I think they'd have to be.

Hell I ll go look I got what laying the shed......what am I doing!

So my buddy rides up on his jet ski going slow. Says something is wrong. I take the seat off and a spark plug had backed out. Still connected and sparking. 1/4 in gas in the motor compartment. I have no idea why it did not BLOW !! Sometimes we get help from above. Tighten up those jet ski plugs !!

So my buddy rides up on his jet ski going slow. Says something is wrong. I take the seat off and a spark plug had backed out. Still connected and sparking. 1/4 in gas in the motor compartment. I have no idea why it did not BLOW !! Sometimes we get help from above. Tighten up those jet ski plugs !!
Gas air mixture must 1.3 -6 % to blow. if the mix is too rich or lean it will not.The odds were on your side. Of course when you opened the compartment you may have added enough air to enter the explosive range.

I thought it made more sense to run (explosion proof) blowers while fueling to keep fumes from building up in the bilge. It didn't make sense to be to wait for the fumes to build up in the bilge then turn the blowers on. I guess my thinking is wrong.

Here's a checklist to remind everyone of proper procedure.

Happy safe boating all !!! :)

Refueling your boat is one of the most dangerous boating activities there is. Many fires have been started by a boat simply being refueled. Below are 10 essential tips that will help reduce the risk to you, your boat and your passengers when refueling.

1) When refueling your boat, be sure to turn everything off. All appliances, engines and anything else electrical should be switched off.

2) All passengers on the boat should head ashore before the refueling process starts. You do not want to put the lives of others in danger so the best way to minimize injury is to have as few people on board the boat as possible.

3) Always have a fire extinguisher within reaching distance when filling up. Some refueling stations will have one handy. If an extinguisher is not handy at the refueling station, be sure you are close to your extinguisher on board your vessel.

4) If you are filling up jerry can's or portable fuel tanks, take them out of the boat and refuel them onshore. This is safer as it will stop dangerous fumes from building up on your deck and around your boat.

5) Never fill your boat to the top. Fuel will expand when it becomes heated so be sure to leave room in your tanks for this expansion. This will also stop you leaking fuel into the water which can damage the marine environment.

6) If you have a metal fuel tank be sure to keep the nozzle of the pump and the opening of your fuel tank in constant contact. This will prevent sparks that could start a fire.

7) Keep your feet firmly on the ground at all times during the refueling process.

8) Once you have finished refueling, check the bilge for spillage. Be sure to also smell around the boat and engine and do not start the motors until the smell of gasoline has gone.

9) If you have filled up a boat with an inboard engine, use the ventilation to flush out all of the fumes before starting the engine. Fuel vapor is heavier than air so this step is vitally important in removing the fumes from around your boat.

10) Do not invite your passengers back on board until your engines have been restarted after the refueling process. Wait until the engines have been running for a good few minutes before inviting them back aboard.
These refueling tips are important for all boaters. Follow these tips for a safer boating experience.

James Fletcher

Back