Logo

85 force 125 cooling questions

esreese

"I've looked for the answe

"I've looked for the answer to this question for a while but could'nt find a specific answer, so for all you Force outboard veterans out there, bear with me if this is a repeat quistion...

I have two related cooling questions about my 85 Force 125...

First deals with cooling water exit location. Please tell me if I understand this correctly: While running the motor in a bucket/barrel or with the hose attachment hooked up a small but steady amount of water spits and spurts out of the two holes located on the back of the leg above the water line. There is also a large amount of water steadily running out of the exhaust port above the prop. I understand this to be normal for Force engines and this is what I should expect since there is no formal "telltale" factory installed on these engines. Is this right, or should there be a steady squirt "shooting" out of the two small holes on the back of the leg???

Second, while looking to an answer to that question, I read some references to flushing and "back flushing" the cooling system. I have the SELOC manual and have read backwards and forwards, and can find no reference to flushing or backflushing the cooling system. Can someone line out the procedure for me, and tell what I should be looking for while doing this, or at least direct me to where I can find the information??

Thanks in advance for your help..."

"Eric, what you note is correc

"Eric, what you note is correct.

The cooling water exits the powerhead into the exhaust housing (leg) where it helps cool the exhaust (after cooling the motor) and acts as a muffler to help keep the noise down. It then exits out through the exhaust (prop).

The holes on the back of the leg are for "exhaust relief" but serve the double duty of spitting out some water (pushed out by the exhaust) to help you confirm that the cooling system is functioning.

"Flushing" the cooling system is simply hooking the motor to "muffs" or running in a pail/tank of water after use.

It is essential if you run in salt-water to prevent build-up and corrosion and is a good idea if you run in fresh water that is silty, muddy, polluted etc.

Some motors have a hose hook-up that you can connect a garden hose directly to the motor. It is normally right near the base of the powerhead and will allow you to flush "back" through the powerhead and down the watertube exiting at the waterpump pick-up as well as going down the exhaust - most others you simply flush as noted above."

"Thanks, Graham, for the good

"Thanks, Graham, for the good info. I feel a great deal more confident now that you have confirmed that for me.

On the subject, any idea about a part # and resource where I can locate the water press. gage/kit for this motor, or will a properly installed automotive gage work just as well??"

You could probably rig somethi

You could probably rig something up but a kit from either Faria or Teleflex will have everything you need.

"That's kind-of what i fig

"That's kind-of what i figured... I'll look around on the sites you mentioned and see what they have, but I think cost will ultimately decide how I do it. Thanks again for the time and info!!"

Back