PDA

View Full Version : 1974 1057HF Chrysler Outboard help

cjason2006
06-09-2009, 09:10 PM
"I bought this 1974 chrysler 105hp outboard model#1057HF and I want to get it running. I just put a new starter, plugs, and coil on it. But I am not getting any spark. Can someone tell me what I should do next. This thing has been sitting for years. Also, what is the black box that has the wires going to the coil? Could that be my issue?"

ko4nrbs
06-11-2009, 08:03 AM
"Check out this post:
http://www.boatpartstore.com/page2.asp ("]http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12480/284895.shtml[/url]

and here:
[url=")

Bill

Bill"

william_m
06-11-2009, 10:53 AM
"Do a compression test- it's easier to find a parts motor than rebuild one. Compression was amazingly almost exact on all for this motor.

Your coil is bolted to the black box -correct? it is the amplifier. Simple ignition test is;
1) power to the box?
2) disconnect the white/blk off the distributor and ground it by scraping and should hear the coil fire like nuts under the cap.

If all that works, then your ignition is for the most part working. Next get a multi spark tester and hook all the spark leads to it and spin the engine. The tester should show a rhythmic even spark on all leads. If not you need a cap. (rotor does not come off.) so you are stuck with it or get a new shaft. No spark or un even?

Your trigger or points are not working. If you have the shutter style, get some lighter fluid and a q-tip and get between the slot and scrub all the crap off the IR lens. If points, just clean and re set. No need to replace as they run low voltage and almost never burn.

Get back to us. This was chryslers bullet proof work horse motor."

craigjeffers
06-27-2009, 11:43 AM
"I have the exact same motor. I just got it and the way I got it going was that I replaced the points. Before replacing them, make sure they open and close as you turn the wheel. Also, when you go to start it, make sure that you have it in neutral and open at full throttle. Good Luck."