Logo

M440 Question

marotti

"Just bought a 76 Silverton 28

"Just bought a 76 Silverton 28 Sedan Cruiser, pretty common boat, from my limited research, boat should come w/ a single 318 or twin 318's. My boat has a m-440 in it. Any ideas if it was a repower or factory. Also what kind of burn should I expect w/ the larger engine. I know 318's typically burn 8 GPH at cruising speed.

Thanks"

"Properly propped, yours shoul

"Properly propped, yours should do even better. (Underpowered boats burn more gas.) Consider yourself lucky.

I'll bet that little darling hauls butt!

Jeff"

"Bullshit ... jeff you said my

"Bullshit ... jeff you said my 440 was burning
10-15 gph was about right !

It depends on the Carburetor Carter or elderbrock
boat size and raw or closed cooling due to running at 140 degrees burns fuel less effiently and of coarse Passagers , and a calm
ocean ... I read here that elderbrock gets 25%
better gas usage and with closed cooling
you might get 10 gph"

"It comes w/ two props. Guy sa

"It comes w/ two props. Guy said one was a power prop and one was a speed, don't know the specs on the props, how do i figure out pitch etc.?

Boat will def. be faster than a single 318, just dont know how to properly prop it. Never seen a 440 or 454 single engine 28' silverton."

"It's also a raw water sys

"It's also a raw water system I think, line from floor under the tranny to a suction pump on engine. It's going on Lake Champlain in Vermont, so no ocean usage, calm weather and 28' in length, most likely 2-4 people on it."

"Dear george: I don't bel

"Dear george: I don't believe your boat is only 28 foot long, like Chris' is. Big difference! He can back WAY off on the throttles and get excellent speed while burning 8 to 10 GPH--and that's the ticket: mile per hour per gallon. A 318 in that same boat would work harder to push it along and get worse mileage.

Those roaring muscle boats--when they are merely cruising--get fantastic gas mileage: 3 to 5 mpg! Boy, would I'd love to get that.

Jeff"

Back