Logo

Tohatsu 2 Stroke 15 horse or 18

hindsight

"Thanks to my 5 year old Yamah

"Thanks to my 5 year old Yamaha, I find myself in immediate need of a new OB. (Don't get me started)
It's just time to try a Tohatsu.
OK So I can buy a new 18 Horse at $50 cheaper than a 15 HP. Same weight, more horsepower. (I like horsepower) This looks like a no brainer. BUT WAIT... I can't afford another "Loop charged" anchor. Whatta ya say guys? 15 or 18?
(Guessing from the specs that the 18 is a bored out 15 with the same carb and bigger jets?)"

The 18 has a different block a

The 18 has a different block and carb....Same weight. The 18 was a good model when it was available in the U.S. ten years ago. I'm sure you would get a good result from it. Of course you should have gotten a good result out the Yamaha 15...That is a solid engine model too.

"Hey Guru,
The Yamaha was ac

"Hey Guru,
The Yamaha was actually an 8 hp. Still a solid engine? In my experience the engine ran rich right out of the box. TK carb, 13mm with a #80 main jet. Caribbean At sea level it only performed in the evening when the air was dense. It ran rich and devoured spark plugs til I pulled the silencer off the front of the carb and got more air to it and went to an NGK BUHK-2 plug. Next 3 years were bliss. Last month after many short idle trips to the dock it started running like crap. It will do nothing but idle now. Mechanic here in Trinidad says most times when he sees these engines it is to "clean them out". Was a lot of confusion when I purchased it in St. Martin about 50 or 100 to 1. Sticker on the motor said 100, book said 50. Dealer really didn't know. So I have been running 75 to 1 to be safe. Maybe I killed it with kindness (oil). Whatever, I have no desire to be an outboard mechanic so I will sell it to someone who does and buy a new Tohatsu. 18 hp on a 9' inflatable..Yeehaw. Tim Allen would be proud.
You Are an Amazing resource for Tohatsu info. Tomorrow I will be a Tohatsu owner. I will need a second prop soon, I'll have you ship it to me in the US. We can talk pitch later, for now........... you should take a couple hours off and take your cat to the vet.
Thank you,
Dave"

"You killed it[img][/img] It&#

"You killed it
It's a 100:1 engine. It's carboned up inside. You can get it cleaned out and it will be fine. The cat is just a "little bit special"."

"Good Morning,
Exactly how i

"Good Morning,
Exactly how involved is the "cleaning out" process?
Are we talking removing the head etc..and mechanically scraping off the sludge? or spraying a magic potion into the plug holes and through the reeds and yanking on the starter?"

You can try spraying in engine

You can try spraying in engine tuner into the carburetor while the engine is running. That may have some success. Usually if an engine has a lot of carbon it will need to be torn down and you have to put in new piston rings.

Back