Logo

15 hp burps at full throtle

elslayo

"Hi all; anyone ever encounter

"Hi all; anyone ever encounter this problem? I recently purchased a 2006 15 hp Honda and it starts and runs fine except at full throttle, where it has a miss or hiccup, if I back off on the throttle one eight of a turn, it runs fine. One time I couldn't start it after trailering on a rough road and unplugged the fuel line because the primer bulb was rock hard so I pressed the ball in on the connector and squeezed the bulb and a little fuel squirted out; I reconnected the fuel line primed it and then it promptly started and ran good at full throttle that time. Any thoughts?

Thanks."

"First thing that comes to min

"First thing that comes to mind is that the breather on your fuel tank is partially blocked, and at full throttle you are creating a vacuum in the tank, restricting fuel flow. To test, loosen fuel tank cap while running a full throttle and see if that clears up the problem. Another possibility is that you have a very small air leak in the fuel line, so at max throttle you could be drawing a bit of air into the fuel. Check & tighten all your fuel line connections."

"OK I will do that and let you

"OK I will do that and let you know if your suggestion was indeed the cause of the problem. I was going to buy a new tank and line, but if I can get the problem fixed for $0, it's all good..
happy.gif

Thanks W D"

"If I suspected an air leak in

"If I suspected an air leak in a motor, I would replace the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb with clear "aquarium" line so I could see the bubbles.

Also have seen a bad clutch dog or shift adjustment jump once or twice out of gear and give the impression of having a miss."

"Hey W D I tried your suggesti

"Hey W D I tried your suggestion and got puzzling results- One day it runs fine, the next it has that miss again.. I noticed however, that the miss occurs going against the current in rivers,(more fuel demand perhaps??) and never occurs on a lake(where there is no current)?? That is the puzzling part
uhoh.gif
The fuel tank is quite sun-faded and seems old for an '06; therefore I am wondering; Is there an in-tank fuel filter in Honda fuel tanks? I know it would be easy to check, but I just filled the damn thing and if there is one in them I am going to a dealer's this weekend and will pick one up if so.
I am thankful for your suggestion too william g moore and will try your clear line troubleshooting tip if all else fails.

Thanks fellas;

Al"

"There is a screen on the end

"There is a screen on the end of the fuel pick-up in the tank. Pull it out and clean it thoroughly or replace it. This stupid E-10 fuel is highly suseptible to phase seperation, which then produces sludge in the fuel tank. Sounds like the sludge or dirty fuel may be clogging your fuel pick-up in the tank. The other possibility is that you have just palin dirty/old fuel.

Now, having said all of that, you could also have a timing problem. Check it according to the manual."

"I finally got a new tank and

"I finally got a new tank and new fuel line connectors, I am happy to report the issue is gone. Thanks to you both W D Neal and William G Moore Jr, keep up the good work.
thumbs_up.gif
"

Back