PDA

View Full Version : 1987 125 hp force questions

ozzgood2001
06-07-2009, 10:05 PM
been looking for an outboard and ran across a 1987 force 125 hp not the first one i ran across them seem to all have low compreesion on one cylinder at least the ones i have found. i read alot of the common problem is head gasket is blown what else is common among these engines? also is this usually a merc based or chrysler monster? any thoughts or help greatly appreciated!!!

william_m
06-07-2009, 10:26 PM
87 was mostly chrysler. They can eat a piston pretty quick. Get the spark plug out and look for metal then roll the engine around to TDC of the low hole and shine some sunshine in there with a mirror. That piston crown should be pristine. Nice sharp edges. Or pass.

ozzgood2001
06-07-2009, 10:43 PM
the one in particular im looking at ran when taken off the boat but didnt have great power i was told but i will def. pull the plugs and take a peek!! another common problesm for this particular motor?

william_m
06-09-2009, 02:46 AM
Those engines were known for having almost the exact compression on all cylinders. I found scuffed pistons on engines with just a 5 # drop in a cylinder.

Chrysler went thru many timing changes so many of the timing decals were wrong and could melt a piston.