Logo

1987 125 hp force questions

ozzgood2001

been looking for an outboard a

been looking for an outboard and ran across a 1987 force 125 hp not the first one i ran across them seem to all have low compreesion on one cylinder at least the ones i have found. i read alot of the common problem is head gasket is blown what else is common among these engines? also is this usually a merc based or chrysler monster? any thoughts or help greatly appreciated!!!

87 was mostly chrysler. They c

87 was mostly chrysler. They can eat a piston pretty quick. Get the spark plug out and look for metal then roll the engine around to TDC of the low hole and shine some sunshine in there with a mirror. That piston crown should be pristine. Nice sharp edges. Or pass.

the one in particular im looki

the one in particular im looking at ran when taken off the boat but didnt have great power i was told but i will def. pull the plugs and take a peek!! another common problesm for this particular motor?

Those engines were known for h

Those engines were known for having almost the exact compression on all cylinders. I found scuffed pistons on engines with just a 5 # drop in a cylinder.

Chrysler went thru many timing changes so many of the timing decals were wrong and could melt a piston.

Back