Logo

Calling bob hill hy stat and m ringevold help please

chiefalen

Banned
"You didn't have me in you

"You didn't have me in your name calling for advice.

May i offer some anyway?

Question, did it overheat at all? If it did then it's the coupler.

You should have a spare prop always in the boat, that way you could have changed out the prop and if it happened again then you would know it's not the prop.

Yes scribe a mark thru the hub, i use a scratch and not something that will wear off.

You will have to run it in the water, if it happens again, look at the mark you scribed and see if it doesn't line up.

I hope it's the prop, ebay has them , not to expensive.

If it's the coupler then the motor has to come out to change it."

"Anthony....like the Chief say

"Anthony....like the Chief says, you need to run it in the lake, the prop needs the resistance from the water against it, running in the driveway puts no load on the prop."

"ok, upon taking the prop off

"ok, upon taking the prop off this morning, i noticed the nut was very loose, i unscrewed it with my fingers, anyway done the mark thing,put the nut back on tight this time and put the cotter pin back in, propshaft spline looked good, hub splines on prop looked good. Went to lake ran her (wot) wide open throttle, for 45 minutes felt no slippage at all, did i not run her long enough ? was the loose nut the fix ? should i investigate further into the coupler ? another thing today it was only me on the boat , yesterday it was four adults, could it be a weight issue. is there anyway to check the coupler without removing the engine ? Im puzzled ? whatever is wrong i wont to get it fixed, Bob , chief alen please post back. And also chief i appreciate your posting, sorry i didnt mention your name, it has been a while since i have been on this site, and i dont know some of the newer folks."

"I don't think you have a

"I don't think you have a coupler problem if you were running WOT for that long, when the coupler goes you can usually smell a burning rubber smell and sometimes see little pieces of the black rubber down in the bilge. The weight could be a factor, the heavier the boat the more load on the prop hub. I can't see it being the nut if the cotter pin was still there, the nut could not have backed off far enough for the splines to disengage. I would keep on boating, you've got the prop marked now, maybe keep an eye out for a spare prop (ebay?) and see if the problem returns."

Back