Logo

55 ted williams

jeff_r

"hi, I have a 1975 5.5 ted wil

"hi, I have a 1975 5.5 ted williams motor the number is 217-58571-0. i have gone through it and since it had spark and compression i just cleaned the carb and replaced a bad inline fuel shutoff. I can get it to start after pulling it a few times with the fuel turned off but when i turn the fuel on it dies instantly. i have replaced the needle and seat assemb. but just guessed on the adjustment of it. when it runs it runs ok. any ideas ? or does anybody know the correct float adjt. ? thanks"

"Many of those had an idle nee

"Many of those had an idle needle with a groove worn in to them which made them very sensitive. You may be able to fix such a problem by putting the needle in a drill and filing a new tip on it. Then start the motor with the choke and slowly turn the idle needle out as you open the choke.

Float adjustment is even across the board with the carb body. Some had a dampener spring thru the float pin with it's tabs positioned so they put a slight pressure to hold the float closed.

Also- if you put the needle (idle mixture) in while the carb was upside down, you would spear a floating alumn pin in the idle circuit. You would do better to remove the shutoff valve and just dump the fuel from the tank. Then run it dry, When you are finished with it."

Back