Logo

1984 30 starting problems

"i have a 1984 3.0 the problem

"i have a 1984 3.0 the problem is i can turn the key on to start the motor and nothing happens. not even any clicking. none of the gauges come on. if i leave the key on and jump across the starter, it will start. and if i turn the key off it will shut the motor off. i replaced the starter solenoid and it did not help. any ideas

Aaron"

"Next time try playing with yo

"Next time try playing with your throttle/gearshift while trying to start. There is a neutral safety switch in there that only allows starting in neutral, could be loose or out of adjustment."

i tried that and still nothing

i tried that and still nothing. if that were the problem would i still not have any lights or gauges when i turn the key in the on position?

"ok...using the link below as

"ok...using the link below as a generic dash wiring diagram, check for 12v on the B terminal of the ignition switch (red/purple wire) if nothing there is a fuse in that line. If you do have power there then you could have a defective switch, during start you should have 12v on the yellow/red wire, this feeds the starter and on the purple wire, this feeds the gauges, then in the run position just power on the purple wire.

http://www.selocmarine.com/content/manuals/3404/pdf/340410w202.pdf"

hey thanks so much. the probl

hey thanks so much. the problem was a fuse. i could have sworn that i checked it but apparently i didnt. i put a new fuse in and she fired right up. again thanks for all the help

oh and i found another problem

oh and i found another problem tho it may not be a problem. i replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and found a light coating of oil in the exhaust ports. i ran a compression test and all 4 cylinders have 120 psi. should there be light coating of oil in the exhaust ports or are the rings going out?

"Throttle neutral switch, kill

"Throttle neutral switch, kill switch if equipped.

If you have juice there, then the slav solenoid.

You did hook up every wire to the positive cable?

You did look under the dash and see if the ignition wires are hooked up none, dangling? You could clean up the connections and make sure none are green or corroded.

The purple wire is the main power thru out the boat. Follow the purple wire, you will find 2 main fuses, in spring holders, should be on the starboard side, disconnect the battery before pulling apart the holders and check the main fuses.

Look inside it corroded, one fuse blow?

Ok pull apart the main harness plug that also is held together with a spring clip.

It clean and not corroded?"

Back