Logo

Volvo Penta 2002

fjbrawn

"Hi there, I own a 1985 Bennet

"Hi there, I own a 1985 Bennetau First 305 with a Volvo 2002 18hp. The engine runs fine, doesn't use any oil but it doesn't go over 2500rpm loaded and no more than 3000rpm on neutral. The bottom of the boat is clean and the engine doesn't smoke. I thinking on a fuel problem(filters are new). The engine looks like it never been opened .Any ideas? Anybody could recommend me a good shop in the miami/fort lauderdale area. Thank you"

Volvo 2002 gearbox ratio.
Hi

Volvo 2002 gearbox ratio.
Hi folks. I have a 1989 Westerly tempest with its original 18hp Volvo 2002 engine and gearbox. Does anyone know what ratio the gearbox will be?

I have an old brochure and it

I have an old brochure and it is showing 2.2:1 for the s model(saildrive) and 2.3:1 for the l model(shaft).

"I have also the same engine i

"I have also the same engine in 1,8 tons Zampieri mare, 6,3 m long, and I have same RPM. No more than 2500 RPM and 6,5 knots. Engine in same condition like Your's, and clean bottom. I have original gearbox so I think it's up to gearbox."

"It is odd because I used to h

"It is odd because I used to have volvos in different boats and they always reach the max RPM(3600 in this case)even in gear, and this particular one doesn't do it on neutral(even if the compression is low it should get the rpm in neutral, I think). This engine doesn't smoke or use oil, or overheat.
I decided to take the injectors and pumps to a shop to be service. Looks like it never been done in 25 years(the injectors are stuck in the head).On top of that I emptied the fuel tank to clean it and I am replacing the filters(I do this once a year) Hopefully it is worthy."

Back