Logo

Alternative Gear Oil for TLDI

skip_mff

"I'm not very happy with t

"I'm not very happy with the Tohatsu Dino Gear Oil, it just doesn't seem to last more than 20-30 hours before it needs replacing. Comes out stinking and doesn't look good.

Tend to use the boat alot for trolling at 6 knots for extended periods of time, not sure if that isn't helping and the boat itself is pretty heavy, but I'm still within the WOT range.

Was wondering if I can switch to something like Quicksilver High Performance Gear Lube or maybe Evinrude's HPF-XR

Could I just drain out all the oil and the refill with one of the above or do I need to flush or something.

Or is it only std Dino Oil?"

"Sure...They all call for the

"Sure...They all call for the same EP 90 spec for lower units except for the electric shift Evinrude's from the 70's. The oil that comes from the factory in the Tohatsu is a break in oil and needs to be changed after 20 hours...You can't even buy that in the U.S. from Tohatsu. The gear oil they sell as replacement oil does stink, but I've never seen any brand of EP 90 oil that doesn't stink. The Mercury oil does too. I haven't used the Evinrude version, so maybe its special."

The merc hi performance gear o

The merc hi performance gear oil is one of the best on the market...use it and you will notice the oil doesnt break down as fast

"Thanks Guys, this was the sec

"Thanks Guys, this was the second replacement, after the factory oil. The small Tohatsu tubes, I just thought it broke down too quickly.

Now it could be I put more hours that I thought but I really need an oil that can do 50 good hours at least.

I just wanted to confirm that I could try another brand, the Merc High Perf is synthetic I believe as is the Evinrude"

"What country are you in Nick?

"What country are you in Nick? ........I just saw you are in Malta
"

"In little sunny Malta, knacke

"In little sunny Malta, knackered after spending the last 3 days flat out trying to get the boat ready for launch.

Have to admit I freaked out a bit when I drained the oil on my 1 year old 90 TLDI, it looked a little milky which had alarm bells going off, water in the oil. It def needed changing big time but upon further inspection it wasn't water or that milky just looked a bit odd.

I've let it drain out completely but I didn't flush with anything and I've now refilled with Merc Hi performance gear oil. Hope I wasn't supposed to flush?"

Back