Logo

Low Oil Pressure In Starboard Engine

kevintimm

"Hi everyone,

I am having a

"Hi everyone,

I am having a problem with my 1970's Chris Craft. It has dual Mercrusaders V6 4BBL inboards.
In the Starboard engine, I have a oil pressure of about 35. In the port engine the pressure is about 63. The starboard engine has a much lower oil pressure and it also smokes a little bit. The port engine does not smoke at all.

These engines have been sitting for quite some time - not sure for certain but i think about 2 years. I replaced the oil and the oil filters. i did 5 quarts in each and it looks to be right on.
on the starboard engine I also added Marvels Mystery Oil. 1 quart Marvel 4 quarts Castrol GTX 10W30. In the port engine I didnt use Marvel and only used 5 quarts of GTX of the same.

Does anyone know what to look for in this situation? Could it be that I just need to run the engines for awhile and let it work itself a little? How long can I run the engines out of the water? I have only been running them for about 10mins each. I have a hose connected to the intake.

What are your thoughts on the Marvel Mystery Oil?
What is the recommended oil pressure I should shoot for? also, one last question, what should my water temp be running it out of the water?

Thanks"

"I also wanted to mention that

"I also wanted to mention that the smoke that is coming from the starboard engine is white and does not have much of a smell to it.

Also, i took the oil pressure reading right from the electronic gauge from the dash. I have not yet done a mech. gauge on the engine yet. I do not think the sender is the problem as the pressure does not seem to fluctuate much."

"I would use a mechanical guag

"I would use a mechanical guage and double check the pressure readings. It sounds like the engine that smokes has the marvel mistery oil, could have thinned the motor oil and is comming past rings and being burnt.
I think, as long as you have water pressure to the engines you can run them, watcth temp guage."

I would first take a compressi

I would first take a compression reading on all cylinders. It seams that the smoke you described is steam and not smoke. Does the oil level remain the same or does it use oil? Marvel mistery oil is great but Lucus Oil Treatment is a great product for this application. If you have any low compression readings I would squirt some motor oil in that cylinder and take anouther reading. If the reading is higher then you have a piston ring problem. If the readings remains low then you could have a valve problem. As far as the tempt problem you could have a impeller problem as at result of the engine setting for two years. The tempt. reading depends on what thermostat you have installed.

If the engine isn't using

If the engine isn't using oil and you have low oil pressure then you might have a main beaing problem. This would require a total rebuild. I would at least get accurate reading on the oil pressure gauges before I would consider a rebuild. Hope this helps.

Back