Logo

Cooling system

todd_thompson

I just bought a 85 bayliner wi

I just bought a 85 bayliner with an omc v8 5.0 stern drive. Do i need to put antifreeze in the motor or does it pump lake water into it? If so how do i? Please help a rookie out!! Thanks

I'm guessing that it's

I'm guessing that it's cooled by lake water which is pumped to the engine by an impeller on the outdrive and then circulated by the pump on the front of the motor. If there is a tank in front of the engine then you have a closed system that would take some sort of antifreeze. Your big issue will be in the fall when you winterize with either system. Best advice is buy a shop manual. Or have it professionally winterized for you.

Thanks for responding Glenn.

Thanks for responding Glenn. I have a manual and know how to winterize but it is too confusing as far as coolant goes. It says to take off hoses to t-stat housing and fill with coolant. I'm not sure that is right. The guy I bought the boat from won't call me back. There is no resevoir at the front of the motor.

"Without pics, maybe you can h

"Without pics, maybe you can have someone who knows marine engines, look at it for you and tell you what you "REALLY" have.

Where are you generally. Near NJ i would consider looking at it."

I'm in Gunnison Colorado.

I'm in Gunnison Colorado. Not far if you want to take a 5 hour plane ride. haha. I could probably post some pics when my wife gets home. Thanks for the gesture.

Back