Logo

120140HP

javlin101

I read on this board a while b

I read on this board a while back about how to change your 120 to a 140. If memory is correct you were to bend the throttle stop back on the first carb & advance the timming. My question is is it worth doing & what do you get out of this in the end?

Jim

"Be carefull, advancing the ti

"Be carefull, advancing the timing to much is a surefire way to destroy your engine do your homework on it and make sure its setup correctly"

No problem I have a timing lig

No problem I have a timing light & will double check. Just to throw it out there if I do not advance the timming will I still get some benifit out of this ?

"No benefit and the engine is

"No benefit and the engine is timed by measurement of the timing rods...No need for a timing light, just a rule."

Guru
Is this worth doing? Is

Guru
Is this worth doing? Is it hard to do? Where are the directrions for doing this? Any problems doing this on a 99 115 ??

Yes
No
Service manual on the

Yes
No
Service manual on the timing adjustment and you bend the tab on the top carb out of the way so that the butterflys will fully open.
No

"Guru, I checked on this site

"Guru, I checked on this site & could not find a Nissan service manual. Is Nissan the only place to get one?

Jim"

Has any one who has done this

Has any one who has done this know what the measurement is for the timing? Does the manual tell you this setting for the 120 and that setting for the 140?

Does anyone have a picture of the "bend on the carb part?

Lastly - can the Tohatsu 115 be treated as a Nissan 120?

THANKS
Richad

"I have another question regar

"I have another question regarding the Choke - I am hoping its the solenoid... but - when I engage the push button to activate the choke, nothing happens. SO I have to open the cover and use the manual choke to get the engine started - THIS is ONLY the very first start in the morning after that I have no problems - I can get the solenoid for about 60 - what other problem could it be - and is it easy to find out how to research it."

"Yes, but you need the service

"Yes, but you need the service manual to see what links to adjust.

Yes

Look at the top carb and advance the throttle to max....What stops the butterfly from opening has to be bent out of the way.

Yes"

"Rich, I was having problems w

"Rich, I was having problems with my choke as well. I bought some engine degreaser & cleaned up all the linkages. Then sprayed them as well as the solenid shaft with light grease. This correct my problem. This is of course if your soleniod is not cooked. I also tried to respond to your email but it tilted (non-deliverable).

jim"

"I've never done it that w

"I've never done it that way, so that's not the way to do it
Try it and see what happens. It might work fine....I think we did them that way because we didn't want the butterfly to over advance. Keep in mind I dont have one of these models in front of me so I have to work off of memory."

5HP 2 CYCLE NISSAN WILL ONLY R

5HP 2 CYCLE NISSAN WILL ONLY RUN ON FULL CHOKE AFTER TAKING APART AND CLEANING THE CARB.

"Ok Guru, I bought a Clymer sh

"Ok Guru, I bought a Clymer shop manual. I am a bit confused as switching from 120-140. I know where the butterfly stop is ( small metal plate that needs to be bent out of the way). The timing has got me confused as it states the difference between 120 & 140 is

timing at full throttle
115 & 120 - 17deg BTDC @5200-5700rpm
140 - 20deg BTDC @5200-5700rpm

Fully closed (in gear)
115 & 120 - 10deg ATDC @700rpm
140 - 10deg ATDC @700rpm

Ignition Timing Adjustment
- Timing link rod
115 & 120 - 127mm(5.00in)
140 - 127mm(5.00in)

- Throttle link rod
115 & 120 - 158mm(6.22in)
140 - 158mm(6.22mm)

- High speed throttle stop
115 & 120 - 18mm(0.71in)
140 - 14mm(0.55mm)

The only thing I can adjust by measurement is the high speed throttle stop. The timmimg rod is stated in degrees which would require a timing light. Am I missing something here.

Jim"

"Yes, you are. You are missing

"Yes, you are. You are missing the factory service manual that tells you how to adjust the rod lengths. No timing light is needed as the adjustments are done with ye olde rule or measuring device."

"Ok, made the adjustments &amp

"Ok, made the adjustments & WOW what a differnce. Gained 2-3000rpm, much quicker out of the hole. Scary with 140hp on a 16ft crestliner rated for 100hp max. The only thing I need to adjust is the high speed stopper. I can now over rev the outboard. This mod is so easy & well worth the 10-15 minuites it takes to do.

Thanks Guru your help is much appreciated.

Jim"

Correction on my post gained 3

Correction on my post gained 300rpm not 3000 ooppps fat fingers. My motor was running at 5400rpm now runs at 5700+ (need to adjust the high speed stopper). Top speed went from around 42 mph to 48 - 50 mph.

Jim

Hey Rich tried to reply to you

Hey Rich tried to reply to your email at AOL but comes back non deliverable. I do have some info for you so if there is a different mail address I can send it to let me know.

Jim

Back