Logo

2004 Tohatsu 8 four stroke

rft

"To the point.

Problems idl

"To the point.

Problems idling. Will idle for a couple hours ok while trolling then die. It restarts most of the time with a couple pulls but will do it again after some time.

I pulled the carb off, cleaned it, without taking it apart, by spraying carb cleaner in it put it back on and left it till today. Primed bulb. it started right up but I noticed gas was spewing from a top plate held by two phillips screws. I didnt touch this plate while cleaning. also If I pump the bulb it will spew gas out of the top plate. What did I do and how can i fix it? Also I should note that I can't get it to start now.

On another note. I am probably selling this motor. I had a Johnson that ran flawless for 6 years. ZERO trouble. Just the fact that I am trying to fix an idle problem upsets me. This motor has 50hrs on it."

"Have the carb cleaned by an o

"Have the carb cleaned by an outboard mechanic and you will be fine....You might try running the gas out of the engine each time you are done using it too. Today's EPA regs have caused manufacturers to use small jets instead of those huge ones like your Johnson had. Engines use a lot less fuel today, but the side effect is clogged up carbs unless you run the gas dry."

Back