Logo

87 Force 85hp wonbt steer

joaty

I took off the cable and the w

I took off the cable and the wheel turns fine. It takes 2 people to turn the motor from side to side. Is there any type of drawing showing how it works or a fix? Does it ride on some sort of pin system or does it have a cylinder? Grease seeps out of the bottom when we pump into the fitting. I have a clymer shop manual.. no help that I can find. No Force repair people in this area. Auto mechanic helping... boat sat 2 years was working fine when it was "put up".

"Judy, it turns on a pivot &#4

"Judy, it turns on a pivot (tube) that has bushings and seals at both the top and bottom.

They are grease packed at factory but they neglect to put nipples to add more grease.

It is a royal pain and alot of work to get at the assembly if it has seized.

The motor must be removed from the bracket that holds it to the boat and the bracket disassembled.

However, if the swivel is seized, then the huge nut holding the swivel into the rest of the bracket is most likely welded in place with corrosion.

You are looking at alot of "shop time" to free it up."

"If it has no grease zert &#40

"If it has no grease zert (Chrysler used to just pound one in) then there will be a spot that one should have been and you can drill that pad for access to the pivot pin. We used to get old mercs that were so seized they wouldn't move, two people would hit it from both sides with Oxy Ace torches and a pump grease gun. Sometimes we burned all the paint off, but almost never had one that wouldn't break loose. This treatment required protective clothing (hot grease and salt spurt everywhere) and of course you don't want to set the boat on fire. So it can be done. Just find a marina that has done a few and still have their fire insurance. Most of these engines came from West coast of Flordia where the salt is real bad, and everybody insists on pulling their boat up on davits. (the drip candle effect)"

Thank you both for the informa

Thank you both for the information..It has one zerk. I think we'll first try the heat (perhaps our heat guns will work but if not... we got the oxy ace also) and the grease pump as suggested... if that doesn't work..and the garage is not burned down...we do have a hoist in the garage but I was fixing it up to sell.. already ordered the new water pump kit and waxed the boat.... may not get my $ back. Hope we can free it up the easier way... thanks again.

"I forgot to add that you need

"I forgot to add that you need marine grease (the blue trailer bearing water proof kind) or you will just get jammed up again.

Also- once it gets moving with the heat, keep putting the grease to it till it is clear blue- then keep moving it as it cools, if it stops again you not finished."

"OK, I don't have that gre

"OK, I don't have that grease but will certainly get some and get ready to heat, pump, and move... sounds like a good workout for sure. Been looking for an exercise that will firm up my arms
lol.gif
"

"Something to try....

Use

"Something to try....

Use to free up machine bushings that had dried up and caked grease with mineral spirits and a good grease gun. Half fill the gun with mineral spirits and tighten the gun tip on the zerk tip. Wear some glasses as grease guns provide a lot of pressure. Try pumping the ms in while working the outboard back and forth.
If it won't accept any ms, you'll probably need to heat it up.
DS"

That's a great idea. We&#

That's a great idea. We'll try that before using the heat... just happen to have ms on hand. We should be doing this on Saturday so will let everyone know the outcome.

"Sunday we did the heat and ma

"Sunday we did the heat and marine grease pump fix and IT WORKED!!!! Yea! Took awhile tho.... and after replacing the water pump, it is now ready to rumble!
Nothing in the shop manual touched on this subject!Thank you so much for the info.... Love this forum! Such great advice from experts!
Judy
talker.gif
talker.gif
"

"I have the same EXACT problem

"I have the same EXACT problem on my 1988 125 Force, actually I was about to post for info. One question though as Ju100dy mentioned there is one grease fitting about 1/2 way between both top and bottom pivot points, my issue is that the grease just runs right out the bottom so I am not getting anything up top.

Thanx for any ideas
Doug"

Back