Logo

PCM 351 Starter on with Key in OFF position

boomvang

"I have a ’84 Ski Supreme with

"I have a ’84 Ski Supreme with a 351cu PCM (pre electronic ignition). When I went to de-winterize it I found that as soon as I connected the battery, the starter started to crank. I thought the ignition switch was bad so I took it apart cleaned it up and put it back together.

It was only then that I found that I have the same problem even without the ignition switched wired in. All 3 wires disconnected from the ignition (key switch) and as soon as I connect the battery the started cranks.

Any suggestions?"

"you can start by taking off t

"you can start by taking off the small wire that goes to the starter, hook up your batt. if it still cranks you have a stuck starter solenoid and starter could possibly be rebuilt if it does not crank follow that small wire that should go to another starter solenoid usually is black and round has 3 maybe 4 wires depending on style that will need to be replaced. leave key in the off position to test"

"Chech the starter solenoid, t

"Chech the starter solenoid, this happened to me two weekeds ago. I have a 1989 ski supreme Sierra Supreme. The solenoid (on my boat) is located next to the 50 Amp breaker under the plastic cover. I used a 1989 ford F 150 from advanced auto $13.00.
Tom"

And this is why I love forums!

And this is why I love forums! Thanks for saving me hours. I'll be pulling the plastic cover off tonight and making a trip to the parts store.

Thanks a ton!

Steve

Replaced the solenoid with a n

Replaced the solenoid with a new one from an 84 F150. $11 from NAPA. Problem solved!

Thanks!!!

Back