Logo

2000 dt140 shifter shaft question

"Hello!
I just purchased a 20

"Hello!
I just purchased a 2000 dt-140 that had been in storage for 4 years. It runs great but I knew it needed serious maintenance. I dropped the lower unit to replace the water pump, and rung off three of the pumphousing bolts. There is corrosion in some places. After drilling and tapping, I wanted to clean the housing of metal scraps. Yep, I pulled the shifter shaft. I tried to get the propeller shaft housing out, but it is also corroded. I even heated the lower housing and cooled the shaft housing. No Luck! So i didn't want to chance busting the lower housing, so I decided to clean as much as I could from the top and drain. Now for the question can the shaft be put back in? The spring tension on the clutch pin is very strong.
Thank you all for this forum!
Any help would be greatly appreciated! (I'm sorry this is so long)"

"The prop shaft housing must c

"The prop shaft housing must come apart to get the shift shaft back in.

I had a guy at work weld M10 bolts to standard threaded rod. M10 screws into the prop shaft housing. Use a puller to apply pressure while you heat then cool with water. Also penitrating oil at the interface helps. Tap the housing sidways in a twist motion back and forth after heat/cool/pressure from puller.

The shaft has a spring loaded pin on the end that presses on the what ever you call it on the shift shaft. I'm too lazy right now but look your lower unit up on browns point marine web site in the microfish (sp) section.

You will need to order the gasket kit for you LU. May as well do that while you are on the Browns Point site.

NOTE: There is a little ball bearing inside the shift shaft well. If it falls out of place, which it probably will not, you will have to take the whole lower unit apart. Tough to do but impossible. GET A SHOP MANUAL IF YOU HAVE TO GO THAT ROUTE. Well worth the $60.

I have tons of parts and a reworked lower unit if it comes to that, I hope it doesn't for your sake."

"Thank you, Marion. I fabrica

"Thank you, Marion. I fabricated two extensions out of 2 inch square tubing, drilled two holes in each one and bolted three inch metric bolts into the shaft housing, then bolted a slide hammer on the square tubing. I couldn't budge it. I did not think of doing this while I had the housing hot. That is a very good idea!! Thank you. I knew someone on this site would have some great help! I hope that I will be able to help someone since I have mostly electronic skills.
thanks again!!!
Larry"

"Actually, you only want to tr

"Actually, you only want to try to remove stuck heated componets after they are cool. I learned this from a A1 Cat mechanic. It makes sence if you think about it."

Back