Logo

2002 40 HP M40D2

pfitz88

"Engine will not run at idle,

"Engine will not run at idle, high rpm stays on, hunts and stalls intermittently .
Okay....there are virtually no mechanics in NJ that want to work on this engine...is this just the way it is????
Am I supposed to turn into a carb mechanic....rebuild kit...maybe a new carbs?.
From the lack of help here, I think that I have just bought an engine that noone wants to deal with...WHY?

ANY decent mecanics who will not turn their noses up at a Tohatsu in costal NJ?????

Thanks in advance,
Patrick F
MacGregor 26x
Barnegat Bay NJ"

"I would suggest just going to

"I would suggest just going to the Tohatsu website (www.tohatsu.com and select the N.America users link) and use their Dealer Locator page to find a Tohatsu dealer. They have several of them along the coast of NJ and I'm sure they'd help you."

"Thanks for the suggestion, I

"Thanks for the suggestion, I have done just that and there are two in NJ, neither have answered calls.
As to the problem. I have decided to try rebuilding the carbs, as they are the likely candidates for fuel problems.

BTW....Does everyone trailer there boats with the engine down? Seems risky.....if not....with the engine tilted up......do you all drain your carbs???
You Guessed it...when all else fails....I decided to do something....like read the owners manuals...which has indicated that if trailering with the engine tilted necesitates draining the float bowls....
Life's for learning.......
Have a happy......"

There are more than two dealer

There are more than two dealers in New Jersey. Did you mean that there are only two near you?

"I meant on the New Jersey sho

"I meant on the New Jersey shore, there are two dealers.....one not answering and the other doing only smaller engines.......a number in NY State or Philly....or on the Delaware River
What about the issue of carb float bowl draining....is that necessary? What does trailering on an angle really do?
Again, thanks for the info and the time..."

"No, you don't need to dra

"No, you don't need to drain the bowls while trailering(the few drops of fuel that may leak out are normal)...But, you do need to run the engine dry or drain the carbs before you put the engine up at the end of the day.

All outboards are supposed to be trailered down...Unfortunately that would result in the lower units being torn off on 2/3's of them so....You trailer them up as the risk to the engine frame is minimal if you avoid pot holes and random acts of stupidity."

I had supposed that my trailer

I had supposed that my trailering before the run across the bay created the problem with engine stalling.
If the angle of the towing caused any debris in the bowl to wind up being sucked up into the carbs.....well i lift the engine every time I leave the boat for the week-end....do people really drain their carb bowls every time they leave there engines?? The engine is 7 years old....and this has not been a problem....
What's your take on ethanol build-up....we are currently using StaiBil...but there is supposed to be a newer product for marine app's....

"Smart people run the fuel out

"Smart people run the fuel out of their engines or drain the bowls at the end of every day. Ethanol is not an issue unless you are using fiberglass fuel tanks or have a filthy fuel system. If your system is dirty and you use a fuel with alcohol, it tends to dislodge contaminantes all at once which will tend to cause a problem.

I disagree with the use of any fuel stabilizer unless you are forced to use it due to large built in fuel tanks. If you are using portable tanks you should be using the fuel within a month or transfering it to your car."

Back