Logo

Tohatsu M99B2 Ignition Problem

phoeffie

"I have a Tohatsu M9.9B2 2two

"I have a Tohatsu M9.9B2 2two stroke and yesterday the motor quit firing and will not crank. The day before it ran fine.

I made a few basic checks today but do not have a service manual yet as I recently got this motor.

Check performed consitied of the following:

1) Checked kill switch to make sure it was not stuck. Ohmed out kill switch and it ohmed normally open as it should and had continuity when depressed.

2)Checked for spark at plugs and had no spark.

3) Ohmed out ignition coil and the coil ohmed out at 2.8 ohmes. not sure what the spec is forthis coil but seemed low. Do any of you know the ohm spec for the coil?

4)I check voltage coming from the field coils when cranking (pull Starting) the motor and was getting about 10-12 volts DC so the coils seem to be generating. Also ohmed out he field coils and got the following readings. Black wire to Blue 60 ohmes, blue to red 340 ohmes, black to red 283. Not sure of the ohm spec forthe field coils but this does not seem to be to far out of range. If anyone has thetest spec for this it would help.

This motor is equiped with a CDI module and I check this and the module was storing voltage about 50 volts. I positioned my meterin in line between the ignition coil and the CDI and when I cranked the motor I was seeing about 20 volts DC to the coil but when I checked for spark again I had not spark.

I am thinking hte coil is bad but not for sure since I do not have the spec for it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, phoeffie"

You will need to pick up serv

You will need to pick up service manual to get the values. You will also need an analog meter.

Back